Join our New Campaign: #READCreate
What does READING inspire you to CREATE?
JOIN OUR #READCREATE challenge now!
1. Think of that book that has inspired you lately. What piece of art does it inspire you to create?(Some ideas!: drawings, photography, cosplay, book scene representations, poems, food art, nail art, embroidery, calligraphy... No limits to your imagination!
2. Post your artwork between today and 10th October on Instagram. Make sure to tell us the book this artwork is inspired in your post copy!
3. Tag @bookdepository and #READCreate in your post.
10 selected entries will earn a place into Book Depository's first Virtual Art Gallery, launching in October and our next bookmark set!
By participating in this challenge, you declare to be the sole proprietor and rights holder of the artwork submitted and you allow Book Depository to use them in our marketing materials during our #READCreate campaign.Find some community inspo here: https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/readcreate
Some Examples Below! What is your Own #READCreate Fan Art?
Starring at a Virtual Gallery? You can be IN!
Childrens Books that Inspired our Readers' Community
01 Sep 2016
06 Oct 2016
15 Feb 2016
01 Feb 2016
Novels Inspired by Art
01 Oct 2014
Great writing on Art
01 Dec 2020
17 Jun 2011
23 Sep 2008
14 Oct 2014
02 Jan 2000
Official Rules - "#READCreate" Competition
1. The #READCreate competition (“Contest”) is run by The Book Depository Limited whose registered office is situated at 1 Principal Place, Worship Street, London, EC2A 2FA (“Promoter”).
These Official Rules contain the terms and conditions of the Contest.
2. To enter an Entrant (defined below) must post on their Instagram feed the following:
a) an image of any form of art:
a. that has been created by the Entrant; and
b. is inspired by a book, (together, “Artwork”). An example of Artwork includes, but is not limited to drawings, collages, book scene representations, cosplay, food art, embroidery or nail art, wood-carving creations;
b) the name of the book the Artwork is inspired by; and
c) tag @bookdepository and add hashtag #READCreate in their post, (together, “Entry”).
By participating this Contest, the owner of the Instagram account where the Entry is posted declares themselves be the sole proprietor and rights holder of the Artwork and that no side business is being promoted in the social media post.
3. Each entrant must:
a) be at least 21 years of age; and
b) not be an Excluded Person, (together, an “Entrant”).
For the purposes of the Contest, Excluded Person means any employee, contractor, director, officer or agent of the Promoter, its parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, distributors, sales representatives, and advertising, promotion and judging agencies and all other service agencies involved with the Contest, and members of the immediate family or households of employees, officers, agents and directors of the Promoter.
4. The entry period for the Contest is from 20th September 2021 at 00.01am GMT to 10th October 2021 at 23.59pm GMT (“Contest Closing Date”). No Entry received after the Content Closing Date will be considered.
5. To be eligible, Entries must be received on or before the Contest Closing Date. All Entries (including the Artwork) shall become the property of the Promoter, and their directors, officers, representatives, advertising and promotional agencies. The Promoter is not responsible for contacting Entrants who provide unclear or incomplete information or for Entries lost, misdirected, delayed or destroyed.
6. Each Entry will be evaluated by a panel of three (3) judges: Beatrice Blue, Chanté Timothy and Olaf Falafel. Entries will be evaluated using the following criteria: (i) originality of Entry; and (ii) creativity of Entry (“Judging Criteria”). Ten (10) Entries will be selected by the Judges in their absolute discretion based on the Judging Criteria as the winners (“Winners”). In the event of a tie, the tie will be broken based entirely on the originality of the Entry, as determined by the Judges in their sole discretion. All decisions of the Promoter are final and binding. The Promoter will not enter into correspondence about the choice of Winner.
7. Winners will be contacted by the Promoter’s official Instagram account via private message before 13th October 2021. The private message will be sent to the same Instagram account that the Entrant used to enter the Contest. If any of the selected Winners do not meet any of the conditions of these Official Rules, another Entrant will be selected from the remaining eligible Entries by the Promoter in its sole discretion. Non Winners will not be notified.
8. Each Winner will secure a placement on Book Depository’s Virtual Gallery, launching on 26th October 2021 (“Virtual Gallery”). The Virtual Gallery will be publicly available via a link that will be shared from Book Depository via their social media channels, email and website. Each Winner’s Entry will also be used in one Book Depository’s new bookmarks (“Bookmarks”) that will be dispatched in orders to customers from December 2021 until February 2022 (“Prize”). By participating in the Contest, each Entrants agrees for their Artwork to be featured on the Virtual Gallery and/or on a Bookmark. No payment or compensation will be paid by Promotor to Entrant for use of the Artwork on the Virtual Gallery and/or Bookmark.
9. To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, the Promoter reserves the right to change, suspend, terminate or cancel the Contest and/or these Official Rules at any time, at its sole discretion.
10. The Promoter does not exclude or limit its liability for personal injury or death caused by its negligence or for fraudulent misrepresentation or any other liability that may not, by law, be limited or excluded. The Promoter accepts no liability in relation to an Entrant's participation (or inability to participate) in this Contest, including without limitation any use made by any of the Winners of (or inability to use) their respective prizes, to the maximum extent permitted by law. Without prejudice to that general exclusion, the Promoter will not be liable for any loss of income, profits, sales or damage to reputation, incurred by any Entrant. Further, and to the extent allowed under applicable law, the Promoter is not responsible for lost, late, misdirected, undelivered, incorrect, or inaccurate Entry information whether caused by Internet or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilised in the Contest or by any technical, hardware or software malfunctions of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, or delayed electronic communications caused by the user or by any human error which may occur in the processing of the Entries in this Contest. The Promoter's failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, the Promoter reserves the right to seek damages from any such person and Entrant to the fullest extent permitted by law.
11. Entries must be submitted by the named Entrant and will be invalid if found to come from a third party. Multiple entries from a single source (e.g. 'competition entry' website/company) will be disqualified. The Promoter reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant from the Contest if, in its sole judgement, the Entrant has not complied with the terms and conditions in these Official Rules, has tampered with the operation of the Contest, or has engaged in any conduct that is detrimental or unfair to the Promoter, the Contest, or any other Entrant.
12. Entry to the Contest is conditional on acceptance of these Official Rules, any amendments to them and the decisions of the Promoter, which are final and binding in all respects.
14. By entering the Contest, Entrants consent to the use of their names, Instagram social media handle, city of residence, photograph and/or image, and the photograph/image and text used in the Instagram post in their Entry, being used for publicity purposes in all media created or shared by Promoter in connection with the Contest, without payment or compensation.
15. Ownership of the pre-existing underlying intellectual property of the Entrant (including, but not limited to, the Artwork) remains the property of the Entrant subject to the Promoter’s rights to reprint, display, reproduce, perform, use, and exhibit an Entry for the purpose of administering and promoting the Contest, including the Artwork on the Virtual Gallery and/or Bookmarks and for the Promoter’s marketing and advertising purposes. By participating in the Contest, each Entrant grants to the Promoter a non-exclusive, worldwide, fully paid, royalty-free, perpetual, transferable license to reprint, display, reproduce, perform, use, and exhibit (including the right to make derivative works of): (i) the Artwork; (ii) the Entry; (iii) and any other materials and information submitted on and in connection with the Contest or use or receipt of the Prize for any and all purposes in any medium. Each participating Entrant hereby warrants that any Entry and other materials and information provided by Entrant are original and do not violate or infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity, moral rights or other intellectual property or other rights of any person or entity, and do not violate any rules, laws or regulations. If the Entry or information or materials provided by Entrant contain any material or elements that are not owned by Entrant and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, Entrant represents he or she has obtained, prior to submission of the Entry and information or materials, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit use and exploitation of the Entry and information and materials by the Promoter in the manner set forth in the Official Rules without additional compensation. Entrant agrees that the Promoter has the right to verify the ownership and originality of all Entries and that, upon the Promoter’s request, Entrant must submit a written copy of any release or permission Entrant has received from a third party granting Entrant the right to use such property. Entrant understands and acknowledges that in the event Entrant’s ownership, rights and the originality of the Entry cannot be verified to the satisfaction of the Promoter or is in any other way ineligible, the Promoter may select an alternate Winner based on the same Judging Criteria.
16. Except where prohibited by law, this Contest and its Official Rules, and any and all disputes and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Contest, or any Prize awarded and the enforceability of these Official Rules, are governed by English law and are subject to all applicable laws and regulations of the United Kingdom. The entire mandatory law of the country in which the participant has his habitual residence remains applicable.