The Book Depository Readathon 2022
What is the Book Depository Readathon?
Our Readathon is a two weeks long “reading marathon” event from 12th to 25th September 2022. During this, we encourage you, fellow book fans, to complete one or more reading challenges throughout the two weeks and post about it on social media for a chance to win 5x£25 worth of suggested Readathon books. To participate, you need to complete at least one (or more) of the reading challenges we have created. Any book in any language that matches the reading challenge counts. But if you are looking for some inspiration, we handpicked a few book recommendations for you that you can find below!
From 12th September 2022, we invite you to post a picture on your Social Media feed showing which book/s you have chosen to read to complete one or more of our Book Depository Readathon challenges. You will have a chance to win some of our selected Readathon book titles featured on this page up to a total maximum retail value of £25. You must tag @bookdepository and add the hashtag #BDReadathon in your post. There will be 5 winners! You have until 25th September 2022 at 23.59pm GMT. Terms and conditions apply which can be found further below on this page.
Our Book Suggestions for "Read a book that was released in 2022"
01 Nov 2022
01 Jun 2021
22 Feb 2022
15 Feb 2022
05 May 2022
19 Jul 2022
Our Book Suggestions for "Read a life experience book"
01 Nov 2022
Our Book Suggestions for "Recreate a dish from a recipe book"
04 Nov 2019
12 Jun 2018
29 Dec 2020
15 Sep 2016
08 Dec 2015
29 Jul 2022
Our Book Suggestions for "Read a book from an indie publisher"
28 Oct 2021
20 Apr 2000
Our Book Suggestions for "Read a debut novel"
01 Mar 2022
01 Nov 2020
16 Jun 2011
Our Book Suggestions for "Re-read a book that you loved as a child"
01 Sep 2014
16 Aug 2007
21 Apr 2005
07 Jan 2010
Our Book Suggestions for "Read a book in your Wishlist"
14 Oct 2021
02 Aug 2016
19 Sep 2019
06 Jan 2022
02 Nov 2017
The Book Depository Readathon Promotional Code Terms and Conditions:
1. These Promotional Code Terms and Conditions apply to the promotional code awarded as part of "The Book Depository Readathon" as defined on the landing page: bookdepository.com/readathon ("Offer").
2. The promotional code is only valid from 01 August 2022 at 00.01am GMT until 07 August 2022 at 23.59pm GMT ("Offer Period").
3. Customers resident in Germany, Austria, France, Spain, Mexico, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands, Japan and Turkey are not eligible for the Offer and are excluded from benefitting from any Book Depository promotional code ("Eligibility Criteria").
4. The promotional code only applies to physical books sold by The Book Depository Limited ("Book Depository") on the website https://www.bookdepository.com, and which are specifically featured as part of the Offer on the landing page bookdepository.com/readathon (subject to any availability and related restrictions applicable to the country in which you are resident) ("Eligible Book").
5. In order to benefit from the Offer on the website https://www.bookdepository.com within the Offer Period, you will need to meet the Eligibility Criteria and enter the promotional code READATHON10 when completing your purchase of an Eligible Book during checkout. You will need to enter the promotional code at checkout for it to apply.
6. The promotional code can be used multiple times during the Offer Period. Only one promotional code can be redeemed per purchase of an Eligible Book.
7. You will be responsible for the final price of any Eligible Book after the promotional code has been applied to that title, and applicable taxes, subject to Book Depository's General Terms and Conditions.
8. If any Eligible Book purchased using the promotional code is returned, your refund will equal the amount you paid for that Eligible Book, less the value of the promotional code used. All refunds are subject to the applicable Book Depository refund policies. If you use a promotional code, and then return the order for a refund, the promotional code will be available for re-use during the Offer Period.
9. The promotional code is non-transferable and cannot be exchanged for cash or resold.
10. The promotional code cannot be used with any other offers or other promotional codes.
11. The promotional code cannot be retrospectively applied to pre-existing orders.
12. Book Depository retains the right to end this Offer without notice.
13. If you violate any of these terms and conditions, the Offer will be invalid.
14. Book Depository's General Terms and Conditions apply to this Offer, which can be found at /help/topic/HelpId/19/Terms-and-Conditions#helpContent.
Official Rules - "Book Depository Readathon" Competition1. The Book Depository Readathon competition (the "Contest") is run by The Book Depository Limited whose registered office is situated at 1 Principal Place, Worship Street, London, EC2A 2FA (the “Promoter”).
These Official Rules contain the terms and conditions of the Contest.
2. To enter, entrants must:
a) post an image on their Instagram, Facebook or Twitter feed showing a book that meets the requirements of one of the Challenges (defined below);
b) specify in their post which of the Challenges the book meets; and
c) tag @bookdepository and add the hashtag #BDReadathon in their post, ("Entry").
Each of the following is a "Challenge" and altogether will be the "Challenges":
(i) A book that was released in 2022;
(ii) A book with a life experience;
(iii) Recreate a dish from a recipe book;
(iv) A book from an indie publisher;
(v) A debut novel;
(vi) Re-read a book that you loved as a child; and
(vii) A book in your Wishlist.
3. Each entrant must:
a) be at least 21 years of age; and
b) not be an Excluded Person (as defined below).
Entrants resident in: Ireland; Germany; Austria; France; Mexico; Australia; Spain; Italy; Belgium and Netherlands as well as employees, contractors, directors, officers, and agents of the Promoter, its parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, distributors, sales representatives, and advertising, promotion and judging agencies and all other service agencies involved with the Contest, and members of the immediate family or households of employees, officers, agents and directors of the Promoter ("Excluded Person(s) "), are not eligible to participate in the Contest.
4. The Contest Entry period is from 12 September 2022 at 00.01am GMT to 25 September 2022 at 23.59pm GMT (the "Contest Closing Date"). No Entry received after the Contest Closing Date will be considered.
5. To be eligible, Entries must be received on or before the Contest Closing Date. All Entries shall become the property of the Promoter, and their directors, officers, representatives, advertising and promotional agencies. The Promoter is not responsible for contacting entrants who provide unclear or incomplete information or for Entries lost, misdirected, delayed or destroyed.
6. Each Entry will be rated by a panel of three (3) qualified judges selected by the Promoter using the following criteria: (i) originality of Entry and (ii) creativity of Entry (the "Judging Criteria"). FIVE (5) Entries will be selected based on the Judging Criteria as the winners ("Winners"). In the event of a tie, the tie will be broken based entirely on the originality of the Entry, as determined by the Promoter in its sole discretion. All decisions of the Promoter are final and binding. The Promoter will not enter into correspondence about the choice of Winner.
7. Winners will be contacted by the Promoter’s official Instagram, Facebook or Twitter account via private message before 11th October 2022. The private message will be sent to the same Instagram, Facebook or Twitter account that the entrant used to enter the Contest. If any of the selected Winners do not meet any of the conditions of these Official Rules, another entrant will be selected from the remaining eligible Entries by the Promoter in its sole discretion. Non-Winners will not be notified.
8. Each Winner will be entitled to select physical books from the selection of books featured at /readathon (which are books from the Promoter’s (https://www.bookdepository.com) catalogue that have been specifically selected by the Promoter for the Contest) up to a total maximum retail value of GBP twenty-five (25) (subject to any availability and related restrictions applicable to the country in which the Winner is resident and subject to the Promoter’s General Terms and Conditions, a copy of which can be found at /help/topic/HelpId/19/Terms-and-Conditions#helpContent) (the "Prize"). The Prize must be claimed by each Winner before 25th October 2022. In order to claim the Prize, each Winner must contact the Promoter by sending a private message to the Promoter’s official Instagram, Twitter or Facebook page from the account that the Winner used for their Entry and in this private message: (i) confirm their selection of physical books which amount to a total retail value of GBP twenty-five (25) or less and (ii) provide their full name, Instagram, Twitter or Facebook social media handle (i.e. Instagram, Twitter or Facebook account display name) for the account that the Winner used for their Entry, email address and postal address. The first private message the Promoter receives from a Winner confirming their selection will be taken as that Winner’s final selection and the Winner will not have any further opportunities to change their selection. Where a Winner’s selection amounts to less than GBP twenty-five (25) in total, the unused amount of the GBP twenty-five (25) will not be repaid, refunded or credited to the Winner by the Promoter. Following the Prize being claimed by each Winner, the Promoter will place the order for that Winner and notify them of the Prize order ID via email to the email address that Winner has provided when claiming the Prize. Books under pre-order status are excluded from this promotion. Contest Prizes may not be transferred or substituted, except the Promoter may, at its sole discretion, substitute any Prize won with a prize of equal or greater value. Any unclaimed Prize remains the property of the Promoter.
9. To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, the Promoter reserves the right to change, suspend, terminate or cancel the Contest and/or these Official Rules at any time, at its sole discretion.
10. The Promoter does not exclude or limit its liability for personal injury or death caused by its negligence or for fraudulent misrepresentation or any other liability that may not, by law, be limited or excluded. The Promoter accepts no liability in relation to an entrant's participation (or inability to participate) in this Contest, including without limitation any use made by any of the Winners of (or inability to use) their respective prizes, to the maximum extent permitted by law. Without prejudice to that general exclusion, the Promoter will not be liable for any loss of income, profits, sales or damage to reputation, incurred by any entrant. Further, and to the extent allowed under applicable law, the Promoter is not responsible for lost, late, misdirected, undelivered, incorrect, or inaccurate Entry information whether caused by Internet or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilised in the Contest or by any technical, hardware or software malfunctions of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, or delayed electronic communications caused by the user or by any human error which may occur in the processing of the Entries in this Contest. The Promoter's failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, the Promoter reserves the right to seek damages from any such person and entrant to the fullest extent permitted by law.
11. Entries must be submitted by the named entrant and will be invalid if found to come from a third party. An entrant may submit one Entry in respect of each of the different Challenges and each will constitute a separate Entry but an entrant should not submit multiple Entries in respect of the same Challenge. Multiple Entries relating to the same Challenge from a single source (e.g. 'competition entry' website/company) will be disqualified. The Promoter reserves the right to disqualify any entrant from the Contest if, in its sole judgement, the entrant has not complied with the terms and conditions in these Official Rules, has tampered with the operation of the Contest, or has engaged in any conduct that is detrimental or unfair to the Promoter, the Contest, or any other entrant.
12. Entry to the Contest is conditional on acceptance of these Official Rules, any amendments to them and the decisions of the Promoter, which are final and binding in all respects.
14. By entering the Contest, entrants consent to the use of their names, Instagram, Twitter or Facebook social media handle for the account that the entrant used for their Entry, city of residence, photograph and/or image, and the photograph/image and text used in the Instagram, Facebook or Twitter post in their Entry, being used for publicity purposes in all media created or shared by Promoter in connection with the Contest, without payment or compensation.
15. Ownership of the pre-existing underlying intellectual property of the entrant remains the property of the entrant subject to the Promoter’s rights to reprint, display, reproduce, perform, use, and exhibit an Entry for the purpose of administering and promoting the Contest and for the Promoter’s marketing and advertising purposes. By participating in the Contest, each entrant grants to the Promoter a non-exclusive, worldwide, fully paid, royalty-free, perpetual, transferable license to reprint, display, reproduce, perform, use, and exhibit (including the right to make derivative works of) the Entry and materials and information submitted on and in connection with the Contest or use or receipt of the Prize for any and all purposes in any medium. Each participating entrant hereby warrants that any Entry and other materials and information provided by entrant are original and do not violate or infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity, moral rights or other intellectual property or other rights of any person or entity, and do not violate any rules, laws or regulations. If the Entry or information or materials provided by entrant contain any material or elements that are not owned by entrant and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, entrant represents he or she has obtained, prior to submission of the Entry and information or materials, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit use and exploitation of the Entry and information and materials by the Promoter in the manner set forth in the Official Rules without additional compensation. Entrant agrees that the Promoter has the right to verify the ownership and originality of all Entries and that, upon the Promoter’s request, entrant must submit a written copy of any release or permission entrant has received from a third-party granting entrant the right to use such property. Entrant understands and acknowledges that in the event entrant’s ownership, rights and the originality of the Entry cannot be verified to the satisfaction of the Promoter or is in any other way ineligible, the Promoter may select an alternate Winner based on the same Judging Criteria.
16. Except where prohibited by law, this Contest and its Official Rules, and any and all disputes and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Contest, or any Prize awarded and the enforceability of these Official Rules, are governed by English law and are subject to all applicable laws and regulations of the United Kingdom. The entire mandatory law of the country in which the participant has his habitual residence remains applicable.