Book Depository BlogRSS
Tue, 19 Nov 2013 15:10
Alma books have a whole load of classic titles that they'd like to give away. Let them introduce themselves:
In September 2012 we decided to revamp our classics programme under the Alma brand. Since its launch, Alma Classics has been growing from strength to strength, and in May 2013 Alma won Independent Publisher of the Year at the Bookseller Industry Awards. One of the judges said: “Alma’s publishing is making a cultural contribution that cannot be ignored.” A month later Alma was the first British company to be awarded the prestigious Premio Nazionale per la Traduzione (€11,000), organized by the Italian Government, for the promotion of translated works in the world.
Alma – which is Spanish for “soul” – is a publisher that regards a book as an aesthetic artefact rather than as a mass-produced commodity. The company's whole emphasis lies on quality over quantity, all the way from choosing projects for publication to creating the physical look and feel of the books. With an emphasis on the production, editorial and typographical values of a book, our aim is to revitalize the whole experience of reading the classics.
Alma Classics publishes not only the greatest recognized masterpieces of all time, from every literature and genre, but tries to redefine and enrich the classics canon by promoting unjustly neglected works of enduring significance. Most of our titles are provided with an extensive critical apparatus and extra reading material.
Our list includes such masterpieces as Exercises in Style by Raymond Queneau, with a foreword by Umberto Eco and an essay by Italo Calvino, Céline’s Journey to the End of the Night and new verse translations of the Divine Comedy and Villon’s Testament. Among our most successful titles are our series of the works of F. Scott Fitzgerald and Mikhail Bulgakov, and we are delighted to have launched a series of beautifully produced popular classics, including Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë, The Praise of Folly by Erasmus, Madame Bovary by Flaubert and The Prince by Machiavelli among its first titles.
Just answer Alma's simple question below to be in with a chance to win. 1st prize - 45 books, 2nd - 20 books, 3rd - 10 books!
Update -- winners: Treasa Nealon, Dmitriy Taratynov, Simon Barber
Competition now closed
Posted by Adam
- 1. No purchase necessary. Proof of entering is not proof of receipt of entry.
2. To be eligible, entries must be received on or before the competition closing date. All entries shall become the property of The Book Depository, and their directors, officers, representatives, advertising and promotional agencies are not responsible for contacting or forwarding prizes to entrants who provide unclear or incomplete information or for entries lost, misdirected, delayed or destroyed.
3. The competition is open to all excluding residents of Italy. Parents/guardians must submit the entry for those under the age of 16. Images must not contain photographs of minors without an adult's consent.
4. The prize winner will be decided by The Book Depository. The Book Depository will not enter into correspondence about the choice of winner.
5. The competition ends as specified on the competition page -- no entry received after that time will be considered. The winner will be announced as specified on the competition page. There is one prize
6. The promoter reserves the right to amend the specification of the prize or offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
7. The prize winner will be notified by telephone/email. If the selected entrant does not meet all of the contract conditions, another entrant will be selected from the remaining eligible entries.
8. The competitions are not open to employees of The Book Depository and their sponsors or their immediate families.
9. By entering the contest, entrants, consent to the use of their names, city of residence, photograph and/or image for publicity purposes in all media carried out by The Book Depository, without payment or compensation.
10. The decisions of the contest judges are final. The prize must be accepted as awarded.
11. The right is reserved to terminate or withdraw this contest at any time.
12. All entries become the property of The Book Depository, who assume no responsibility for lost, stolen, delayed, damaged or misdirected entries or for any failure of the website during the promotional period, for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email or entry to be received by The Book Depository on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or any website, or any combination thereof including any injury or damage to an entrant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from playing or downloading any material in the promotion. The Book Depository reserve the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel or suspend the email portion of this contest should a virus or bug or other cause beyond the reasonable control of The Book Depository corrupt the security or proper administration of the contest. Any attempt to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of this promotion is a violation of criminal and civil laws, and should such an attempt be made, The Book Depository reserve the right to seek remedies and damages to the fullest extent permitted by law, including criminal prosecution. Entries are subject to verification and will be declared invalid if they are illegible, mechanically reproduced, mutilated, forged, falsified, altered or tampered within any way. Entrants agree to abide by the Contest Rules and the decisions of the independent judging panel, which are final.
13. Entries must be submitted by the named entrant (or their parent/guardian for children aged 16 or under) and will be invalid if found to come from a third party. Multiple entries from a single source (e.g 'competition entry' website/company) will be disqualified.
14. For name/county of prize winner, please send a stamped addressed envelope marked The Book Depository, Thames Central, Hatfield Road, Slough, Berkshire, SL1 1QE. No entries should be sent to this address.
15. Entry to the competition is conditional on acceptance of these terms and conditions.
17. The Promoters have organised these prize draws in good faith and do not accept liability relating to the prize.
CommentsShowing 1 to 25 of 117 results
Showing 1 to 25 of 117 results
So many amazing books
- Posted Wed, 18 Dec 2013 22:27
- Khaing Zar Kyi Lwin
May all blessings upon me! I'm dying to read these beautiful books...
- Posted Wed, 18 Dec 2013 09:09
- Mrs Bruna Maria James
- Posted Tue, 17 Dec 2013 10:32
- Nicky Smart
The best prize!
- Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 19:54
This is such an amazing competition!!
- Posted Fri, 13 Dec 2013 13:45
- Cait Molan
AMAZING competition! You can never have enough classics! Good luck everyone :)
- Posted Thu, 12 Dec 2013 06:53
- Nicole Schull
love love love to spend the holidays devouring these books
- Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 21:36
- Ria Wijnbergen
My Alma would be very happy if I would win The Alma Classics!
- Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 21:02
- Juan Roque
- Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 20:20
- Shannon Morrison
What a great competition:) Hoping to win and good luck to everyone else:D
- Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 17:30
- Victoria Nash
Wow what a terrific prize. Hope I'm lucky.
- Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 17:13
All the hours I would spend reading..
- Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 05:07
- Ana Maria Palop Martinez
- Posted Mon, 09 Dec 2013 12:15
- Elizabeth Sawyer
Our family would thoroughly enjoy reading or in some cases rereading these classic titles! May you have a Joy-Filled Christmas Season!
- Posted Sun, 08 Dec 2013 19:42
- John Pauzauskie
Thank you for so generously giving away a great group of awesome reads.
- Posted Sun, 08 Dec 2013 19:29
- Donna Kent
Some wonderful titles. Plenty to keep the winners happy for the cristmas period.
- Posted Sun, 08 Dec 2013 18:31
- Kim Townsend
These books are masterpieces!! True works of artistic reading pleasure!! I hope I win!!
- Posted Sun, 08 Dec 2013 00:28
- Ms K L Martindale
Would love to have the books to read to my granddaughter who is into anything that has a great story.
- Posted Fri, 06 Dec 2013 04:32
- Ann Marie Kelly
Oh would so love to win this prize!!!!!!!!
- Posted Thu, 05 Dec 2013 23:35
- Cynthia Coghill
Brilliant addition to our library.
- Posted Thu, 05 Dec 2013 19:03
- Edna Melissa Moreira Villegas
hoping to win some good books~ :3
- Posted Thu, 05 Dec 2013 19:01
- Michael Bennett
It's time to return to the classics.
- Posted Thu, 05 Dec 2013 15:46
- Ruth Santiago
I would love to win these
- Posted Thu, 05 Dec 2013 10:53
- Ms Jacky MilesSmith
Mmmm! Many many hours of pleasure!!!
- Posted Wed, 04 Dec 2013 23:21
- Joshua Thomas Davis
Gosh, this would be an excellent collection to have.
- Posted Tue, 03 Dec 2013 16:38
Write a Comment
- 1. No purchase necessary. Proof of entering is not proof of receipt of entry.
- Book Depository Team
- Anna Content Manager View posts >
- Adam Spinach View posts >
- Noriko Tsuchiya Author View posts >
- Eric Admin View posts >
- Ben Elliss Head of IT View posts >
View more team members >
- Admin The Book Depository View posts >
- Mr McPaws Poet and kitten View posts >
- Alice Hart Davis Author View posts >
- Sibella Court Author View posts >
- Gordon Grice Gordon Grice View posts >
- Barry Chicken House View posts >
- Hugh Aldersey Williams Author View posts >
- Mark Forsyth Author View posts >
- Stevo Senior Designer View posts >
- Thalia Guest blogger View posts >
- Jason Senior front end Dev View posts >
- Mark Content Manager View posts >
- Publisher Blogs
- Alma Books Bloggerel
- Continuum philosophy
- Faber's Thought Fox
- Harvard University Press Publicity
- Indiana University Press
- Jam Language Publishing
- North Atlantic Books
- View more publisher blog >