Book Depository BlogRSS
Wed, 30 Oct 2013 11:24
Our Book of the Week feature is now three years old! To celebrate we're giving away all the books from the past year to one lucky winner. (Crane required to carry them around not included.)
We asked our lovely graphic designers to design some new jackets from our Book of the Week list in a minimalist style. They came up with these eight. All you need to do is discover which eight book covers we've taken the liberty of redesigning. We've listed all the books along with bigger versions of our covers on a separate page.
We hope you enjoy our feature as much as we do. Here's to many happy returns and bookish discoveries!
Competition closes on Thursday 21 November, midnight GMT. Good luck!
Update 11/4/13: please don't worry if you did not get the verification message after submitting, your entries are documented and you will not be disqualified if you had to resubmit.
Update 22/11/13 Answers:
1. Underwater Dogs 2. The Green Kitchen 3. The Last Days of Detroit (US edition Detroit City Is the Place to Be) 4. The Divine Comedy 5. Secret Garden 6. Apocalypse 7. Heavenly Bodies 8. Bitter Greens
Winner: Christian Edding Thank you all for participating, we hope you enjoyed it!
Competition now closed
Posted by Anna
Books of the Week
- 1. No purchase necessary. Proof of entering is not proof of receipt of entry.
2. To be eligible, entries must be received on or before the competition closing date. All entries shall become the property of The Book Depository, and their directors, officers, representatives, advertising and promotional agencies are not responsible for contacting or forwarding prizes to entrants who provide unclear or incomplete information or for entries lost, misdirected, delayed or destroyed.
3. The competition is open to all excluding residents of Italy. Parents/guardians must submit the entry for those under the age of 16. Images must not contain photographs of minors without an adult's consent.
4. The prize winner will be decided by The Book Depository. The Book Depository will not enter into correspondence about the choice of winner.
5. The competition ends as specified on the competition page -- no entry received after that time will be considered. The winner will be announced as specified on the competition page. There is one prize
6. The promoter reserves the right to amend the specification of the prize or offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
7. The prize winner will be notified by telephone/email. If the selected entrant does not meet all of the contract conditions, another entrant will be selected from the remaining eligible entries.
8. The competitions are not open to employees of The Book Depository and their sponsors or their immediate families.
9. By entering the contest, entrants, consent to the use of their names, city of residence, photograph and/or image for publicity purposes in all media carried out by The Book Depository, without payment or compensation.
10. The decisions of the contest judges are final. The prize must be accepted as awarded.
11. The right is reserved to terminate or withdraw this contest at any time.
12. All entries become the property of The Book Depository, who assume no responsibility for lost, stolen, delayed, damaged or misdirected entries or for any failure of the website during the promotional period, for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email or entry to be received by The Book Depository on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or any website, or any combination thereof including any injury or damage to an entrant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from playing or downloading any material in the promotion. The Book Depository reserve the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel or suspend the email portion of this contest should a virus or bug or other cause beyond the reasonable control of The Book Depository corrupt the security or proper administration of the contest. Any attempt to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of this promotion is a violation of criminal and civil laws, and should such an attempt be made, The Book Depository reserve the right to seek remedies and damages to the fullest extent permitted by law, including criminal prosecution. Entries are subject to verification and will be declared invalid if they are illegible, mechanically reproduced, mutilated, forged, falsified, altered or tampered within any way. Entrants agree to abide by the Contest Rules and the decisions of the independent judging panel, which are final.
13. Entries must be submitted by the named entrant (or their parent/guardian for children aged 16 or under) and will be invalid if found to come from a third party. Multiple entries from a single source (e.g 'competition entry' website/company) will be disqualified.
14. For name/county of prize winner, please send a stamped addressed envelope marked The Book Depository, Thames Central, Hatfield Road, Slough, Berkshire, SL1 1QE. No entries should be sent to this address.
15. Entry to the competition is conditional on acceptance of these terms and conditions.
17. The Promoters have organised these prize draws in good faith and do not accept liability relating to the prize.
CommentsShowing 76 to 100 of 178 results
Showing 76 to 100 of 178 results
- Zsofia Eszter Szucs
Loved it! :))
- Posted Fri, 01 Nov 2013 22:29
- Debbie Haughey
Wow, that was tougher than I thought but I am confident I nailed it in the end :-)
- Posted Fri, 01 Nov 2013 22:19
- Olga Naidenova
Could you please post the answers when the competition ends? This will be like a runner-up prize for all of us who don't get the books!
- Posted Fri, 01 Nov 2013 22:05
- Jennifer Green
After the first 2 I'm unsure of my answers, but had fun anyway! Thanks!
- Posted Fri, 01 Nov 2013 21:34
- Jennifer Page
Well that was tough and I am not sure I have all of them right...
- Posted Fri, 01 Nov 2013 21:19
- Denise Pace
Great competition! Loved it... hope my answers are right though :)
- Posted Fri, 01 Nov 2013 20:20
- Virgínia Miranda
Ok, got it. The previous tip from someone, of an old text, was good. ;)
- Posted Fri, 01 Nov 2013 19:17
- Virgínia Miranda
S.till stuck on 4.... :( Can anyone give a tip?? Pleaseee
- Posted Fri, 01 Nov 2013 18:44
- David Turner
I thought I was doing quite well until I reached no.8. And then I started having doubts about no.5! But the entry is in; too late to change it now! I found no.4 quite easy - but does that mean I've got that one wrong as well?!!? In the end it was all great fun. The winner will be a worthy one.
- Posted Fri, 01 Nov 2013 17:46
- Naiera Lotfy
Lots of fun.
- Posted Fri, 01 Nov 2013 17:40
- Manole Raluca Georgiana
4 was by far the most awesome
- Posted Fri, 01 Nov 2013 16:43
- Debbie Powell
Arrrrghh number 4!!! Unless I'm thinking way too hard about this one, it seems to be the most cryptic. I have no less than FOUR possible contenders for the answer :(
- Posted Fri, 01 Nov 2013 16:36
- Yehuda Harmor
Too many clues, guys.
- Posted Fri, 01 Nov 2013 15:42
AW YEAH SON! I took me long enough, but I figured them all out, I'm like pretty sure I got them right. This is an awesome competition. I hope they do this every year from now on, I like a challenge if the reward is worth it! For the people still struggling: You can find 5, 7 and 8 by simply reading the descriptions of all the books listed until you stumble upon it. That's how I did it!
- Posted Fri, 01 Nov 2013 15:08
- anne fernanda alécio mathias
Number 7 were easier than number 5 for me... to which I still hold doubts!
- Posted Fri, 01 Nov 2013 13:09
- Paul Seligman
Serriously struggling on #4 which seems to be the one most people are stumped by. Not 100% sure of #7, others seem OK., I think some of the hints and answers in comments may be misleading, intentionally or otherwise...
- Posted Fri, 01 Nov 2013 13:00
- Emma Jayne Biggins
Well that was tough! At 1 and 2 I thought ooohh this is a breeze but no. 4 was a nightmare and I'm still not sure I put the right answer!!
- Posted Fri, 01 Nov 2013 12:48
- Mary Kalabalika
wow ok this was a tough one but i had lots of fun guessing! i hope i got everything right! good luck to everyone
- Posted Fri, 01 Nov 2013 12:18
- Andrada Sorea
Really enjoyed this mental challenge :P P.S.: How do I know that my entry has been registered? Should I receive some kind of confirmation? Thank youuuu :)
- Posted Fri, 01 Nov 2013 12:16
- chris hunt
Very interesting and a great prize. I have also found some great looking books for my wish list. xx
- Posted Fri, 01 Nov 2013 11:47
- Cheryllea Shooter
Lot's of fun. Thank-you Book Depository!! Would love to read these books!!
- Posted Fri, 01 Nov 2013 10:49
- Jorge Alexandre F.de Abreu
Went to hell and back for nÂº4, but I think I got it right... hopefully..
- Posted Fri, 01 Nov 2013 10:45
- Jackie White
WOW! What an great competition! Really had to think about some of those covers! Would love to win this competition, that prize is awesome!
- Posted Fri, 01 Nov 2013 10:22
- Dave Draper
Interesting! Of 3, 4 and 7 different people find different ones difficult. Must be the different ways that people's brains work.
- Posted Fri, 01 Nov 2013 10:02
- Leanne Henderson
Very challenging but fun. Stumped by no. 4
- Posted Fri, 01 Nov 2013 09:29
Write a Comment
- 1. No purchase necessary. Proof of entering is not proof of receipt of entry.
- Book Depository Team
- Anna Content Manager View posts >
- Adam Spinach View posts >
- Noriko Tsuchiya Author View posts >
- Eric Admin View posts >
- Ben Elliss Head of IT View posts >
View more team members >
- Admin The Book Depository View posts >
- Mr McPaws Poet and kitten View posts >
- Alice Hart Davis Author View posts >
- Sibella Court Author View posts >
- Gordon Grice Gordon Grice View posts >
- Barry Chicken House View posts >
- Hugh Aldersey Williams Author View posts >
- Mark Forsyth Author View posts >
- Stevo Senior Designer View posts >
- Thalia Guest blogger View posts >
- Jason Senior front end Dev View posts >
- Mark Content Manager View posts >
- Publisher Blogs
- Alma Books Bloggerel
- Continuum philosophy
- Faber's Thought Fox
- Harvard University Press Publicity
- Indiana University Press
- Jam Language Publishing
- North Atlantic Books
- View more publisher blog >