Western Civilization: To 1715 v. 1 : Beyond Boundaries
WESTERN CIVILIZATION, International Edition, is distinguished for its wider definition of Europe that includes Eastern Europe, Scandinavia, and European frontiers. Recognizing that factors outside the continent affected European history, the authors highlight Europe's place in the world throughout the narrative and in the primary source feature, "The Global Record". Carefully revised and edited for greater accessibility, the Sixth Edition is briefer and incorporates pedagogical features such as focus questions, key terms, and section summaries to better support students of western civilization. The reconceived narrative and streamlined organization, featuring smaller, more cohesive learning units, lend to greater ease of use for both students and instructors. Available in the following split options: WESTERN CIVILIZATION Complete (Chapters 1-30), ISBN: 0495897906; Volume I: To 1715 (Chapters 1-17), ISBN: 0495897922; Volume II: Since 1560 (Chapters 15-30), ISBN: 0495897930.
- Paperback | 560 pages
- 214 x 274 x 18mm | 1,120g
- 31 Jan 2010
- Cengage Learning, Inc
- Wadsworth Publishing Co Inc
- Belmont, CA, United States
- International ed of 6th revised ed
- col. Illustrations, maps
Table of contents
1. The Ancestors of the West. 2. The Ship, the Sword, and the Book: Western Asia, ca. 1500-400 B.C. 3. The Greeks in the Polis to ca. 750-350 B.C. 4. Alexander the Great and the Spread of Greek Civilization, ca. 350-30 B.C. 5. Rome, from Republic to Empire. 6. Imperial Rome, 31 B.C.-A.D. 284. 7. The World of Late Antiquity, 284-ca.600. 8. Early Medieval Civilizations, 600-900. 9. The Expansion of Europe in the High Middle Ages, 900-1300. 10. Medieval Civilization at Its Height, 900-1300. 11. Crisis and Recovery in Late Medieval Europe, 1300-1500. 12. The Renaissance. 13. European Overseas Expansion to 1600. 14. The Age of the Reformation. 15. Europe in the Age of Religious Wars, 1560-1648. 16. Europe in the Age of Louis XIV, ca. 1640-1715. 17. A Revolution in World-View.