Webster's New World Dictionary and Thesaurus
- Hardback | 768 pages
- 165 x 242 x 46mm | 1,091g
- 30 May 2002
- Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company
- Hungry Minds Inc,U.S.
- United States
- 2nd Revised edition
Other books in this series
14 May 2004
09 Aug 2002
01 Nov 2014
23 May 2008
04 Aug 1998
24 Sep 2004
14 Dec 2010
Through decades of linguistic research, Webster's New World editors have crafted a uniquely modern guide to American English. The dictionary segment of this volume includes 61,000 entries providing clear, precise, and reliable definitions of all of today's most commonly used words. Widely used scientific, technical, professional, and business terms are included, as well as common abbreviations. Word derivations are provided to help you better understand the language and its use.
All the dictionary entries in this volume appear in the top portion of each page. In the bottom portion are the corresponding thesaurus entries. These list a wide array of synonyms that can add variety to every type of writing. Students, writers, speakers, editors, crossword puzzle buffs - anyone who has a need for just the right word - will find these entries uniquely helpful and easy to use.
Back cover copy
Unique in concept and design, this groundbreaking resource combines two great Webster's New World reference works in a single volume. Dictionary entries and corresponding thesaurus entries appear together on each page, so you can check the spelling and definitions of a word and also research its synonyms - all at a single glance.
On every page you'll find
* Concise, readable, up-to-date definitions
* Clear, accurate pronunciation and usage information
* Widely used scientific and technical terms
* Over 14,000 etymologies for greater understanding
* Lists of helpful, concrete examples
* Synonyms clearly keyed to dictionary entries
* Cross-references for even more information
Table of contents
About Charlton Laird