Ward and Lock's Holiday Trips Round and about London

Ward and Lock's Holiday Trips Round and about London

By (author) 

List price: US$15.00

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks


This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1882 edition. Excerpt: ...of the broad valley through which flows the Ravensbourne river, at this point of small dimensions, and shrinking in summer to the size of a little brook. It flows through the valley which separates Bromley from Shortlands, a portion of the parish of Beckenham. The range of small, rounded hills, on the Bromley side of the valley, are very steep, and from the summit of St. Martin's Hill, near the church, a noble view is commanded, extending to Keston, Hayes, Sydenham Hill, and the Surrey hills near Addington. The grounds of the Crystal Palace, though more than three miles distant, are open to the view. Bromley Church is an ancient structure, but was much enlarged in 1830, and has been recently restored. It is dedicated to Saints Peter and Paul. Many interesting tombs and memorials are in the church and burial-ground, among them the stone in the nave which marks the resting-place of Matilda, the wife of Dr. Johnson. The Latin epitaph was composed by the Doctor himself. Dr. Hawkesworth, the essayist, and the editor of " Cook's Voyages," is also buried in the church (1773). In the churchyard the visitor will probably be attracted by a tablet inserted in the wall near the east door, recording that the body of Martin French is there interred, with "four of his wives." He died on the 12th January, 1661, and his last wife died on the following day. The oaken south door of the church is very ancient, and the "lich-gate" is. one of the best existing specimens of that adjunct to a burial-ground. At the entrance of the town from the London Road is Bromley College, founded in 1666 by John Warner, Bishop of Rochester, for the benefit of widows of loyal and orthodox clergymen. Subsequent benefactors have enlarged the scope...
show more

Product details

  • Paperback
  • 189 x 246 x 4mm | 141g
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236809947
  • 9781236809940