Two Hundred Years of the S. P. G; An Historical Account of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts, 1701-1900

Two Hundred Years of the S. P. G; An Historical Account of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts, 1701-1900

By (author) 

List price: US$37.11

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1901 edition. Excerpt: ...occasions in previous years such appeals led to frequent interruptions, but now the truth of Christianity was admitted although Christianity itself might not be embraced 5. In 1886 a Mission chapel was erected 6, and in 1887 a Chinese department was added to the Mission through the instrumentality of the Chaplain, the Rev. L. C. Biggs 7, and about two years later three Chinese were confirmed. A sustentation fnnd for the Chaplaincy, begun by Mr. Moreton, was estimated to have reached 3,000 in 1882 la. (1892 1900.) On his resignation in 1897 Mr. Biggs left a Christian congregation of some fifty Chinese 8. In the Tamil Mission not a year has passed without gaining converts or candidates for confirmation. Though the newly-converted as a rule migrate to other parts of the world for livelihood, yet they are not known to renounce the faith they have received, but rather to publicly show the spirit of their Christian religion. One converted five of his relatives in India to Christianity. In his work, Mr. Balavendrum, whose parents and grandparents were converts of Swartz at Tanjore, has been greatly helped by his wife (deceased 1893), who knew five languages 9. PROVINCE WELLESLEY (area, 288 square miles) is a Blip of the mainland opposite Tenang, and was acquired by England from the lUjah of Kedah in 1798. The need of Missions in the Malayan Peninsula, both for Europeans and for the Malay, Chinese, and Tamil labourers, 4c., was brought before the Society in 1871 and in 1874 by the Bev. J. Moreton, then Chaplain of Penang and formerly an S.P.G. Missionary in Newfoundland. In Province Wcllesley more than two-thirds of the Englishmen were Churchmen, but as the visits of the Penang Chaplains had almost ceased and there were no other opportunities of...
show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 294 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 16mm | 531g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • English
  • Illustrations, black and white
  • 1236501543
  • 9781236501547