The Traverse Region; Historical and Descriptive, with Illustrations of Scenery and Portraits and Biographical Sketches of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers

The Traverse Region; Historical and Descriptive, with Illustrations of Scenery and Portraits and Biographical Sketches of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers

By (author) 

List price: US$13.58

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1884 edition. Excerpt: ...and remained engaged in mining about four years. The partnership lasted twentyeight years and was concerned in extreme business enterprises at Northport, Charlevoix and Petoskey. In 1855 they began operations at Northport, and built the first dock and store at that point. In 1864-'65 they built the first dock at Charlevoix which was finished the following spring. They also opened a store. The same finn afterward built the first dock and opened the first store at Petoskey. At these points they carried on mercantile operations and dealt in wood, ties, posts, &c. Mr. Fox's present store was built in 1868. He still carries on business at Cnarlevoix, and deals in bark, wood, &;c_ He also owns a large amount of land. He was married at Port Huron in 1866. They have two sons. Mr. Foxput on the first steamers that ran on the inland waters, and few business men are better known in northern Michigan than he. In 1883 Fox & Rose divided their property and dissolved partnership. Since that time Mr. Rose has carried on business alone. 1 Early in 1867 amail route was established, also a postol'fi.e at Chsrlevoix. Philo Beers was postmaster. Nelson Ainslie had the contract for carrying the mail, and-moved his family here in the spring of 1867. The village had been platted by Mr. Dixon in 1866. Mr. Beers kept the postofiice at his house which stood just south of the river, and was post-master until his death, which occurred April 3, 1872. Richard Cooper, who was deputy postmaster, moved the office to the Fountain City House, where it was kept until the appointment of Willard A. Smith, as post-master, which was made in May. Mr. Smith still continues to hold that ollice. The firm of A. Fox & Co. had made a contract with a firm in...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 416 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 22mm | 739g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236792564
  • 9781236792563