Transactions of the Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society Volume 19

Transactions of the Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society Volume 19

List price: US$10.83

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1902 edition. Excerpt: ... as a boy, used to rush past it in terror. An old inhabitant of Birkdale tells me that as many as forty male mourners used to help in the "carrying" along the two miles from that hamlet through the lane called "Church Gates" to North Meols Church. It may be mentioned that even at the present day, in localities where the roads are so rough as to be difficult for vehicular traffic, the distances for carrying are often surprisingly long. Quite recently a corpse was carried six miles for interment in Crossens Churchyard. Mr. Bulpit thinks that as this cross was on the old road from Liverpool, through old Roman Catholic villages, it would be used for devotional purposes. Shore Cross.--The third cross was placed near the sea about three-quarters of a mile in a north-westerly direction from the Breeing Stone. Bland, in his Annals of Southport, quotes a deed, date 1529, concerning the rights of Richard Aghton, the lord of the manor, in which these words occur: "As well by land as by water and sea, namely, from the cross in the Hose of the Town of North Mylls as far as Snotterston and to a distance at sea a cruce in le Hose in Villa de North Mylls usque ad Snotstan." North Meols. The parish church of North Meols (dedicated to S. Cuthbert) has been rebuilt out of all recognition during the centuries which have elapsed since its foundation in pre-Norman times. The markets in this old-fashioned village have been discontinued, but they were held in the large open space adjoining the south side of the churchyard. The stocks are still in situ, close to the old grammar school in which mass was said in private in post-Reformation times. The pump stood close to the Bold Arms Inn in the market place. Proclamations were made on...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 98 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 5mm | 191g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236845951
  • 9781236845955