Transactions of the Historic Society of Lancashire and Cheshire for the Year Volume 17

Transactions of the Historic Society of Lancashire and Cheshire for the Year Volume 17

List price: US$13.19

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1865 edition. Excerpt: ...these rude shelters unnecessary, even if the general adoption of spinning machinery had not, by causing the wool to be sold at home in the fleece, stopped the supply of the staple merchandise. A bequest by a benevolent lady provided a service in the church on the Monday forenoons, for the special benefit of the people coming to market, which, like the penthouses, was also maintained long after those for whose behoof it was provided ceased to avail themselves of it. Hawkshead was originally a chapelry under Dalton and, as already stated, is believed to have existed at a very remote date. In the earliest annals of Furness Abbey it is referred to as, even then, a place of some standing and importance. Thus between the years 1198 and 1200, we find that Honorius, Archdeacon of Richmond, granted the convent permission to celebrate mass at their private altars with wax candles, during an interdict; for which purpose he assigned the Chapelry of Hawkshead &c. to the monks. And again, in 1219 the Abbot wished to relieve the inhabitants of Furness Fells, then increasing much in numbers, from the laborious necessity of carrying their dead for interment to the mother church at Dalton, upwards of twenty miles distant; but, being strongly opposed by the Vicars of Dalton and Urswick, at length made an appeal to the Papal court, when the Pope gave a commission to the Priors of St. Bees, Lancaster and Cartmel to enquire into and adjudge the case, which judgment was in favour of the Abbot and ordered the chapel yard at Hawkshead to be consecrated for sepulture. At the dissolution it appears that the income of this chapelry was nearly three times that of the Rectory of Dalton--was indeed worth more than the whole of Low Furness. It must be noted, ...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 108 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 6mm | 209g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236768876
  • 9781236768872