Transactions of the Glasgow Archaeological Society Volume 2, Pts. 1-4

Transactions of the Glasgow Archaeological Society Volume 2, Pts. 1-4

List price: US$27.17

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1891 edition. Excerpt: ...in her 100th year. Lady Louisa is universally admitted to have been an example of the finest type of the old Scots lady. To the end she kept up the use of distaff and the spinning-wheel with other customs of an older day. Lady Louisa was succeeded by the Hon. Henry Maxwell, fourth son of Marmaduke Constable Maxwell, and brother of William, thirteenth Lord Herries. Marmaduke Constable Maxwell was the son of William Haggerston Constable and Winifred, daughter of John Maxwell, titular Earl of Nithsdale, by Lady Catherine Stuart, daughter of Charles, fourth Earl of Traquair. It is interesting to recall that John Maxwell, titular Earl of Nithsdale, was son of William, fifth Earl of Nithsdale, and his intrepid countess, Lady Winifred Herbert, daughter of William, Marquess of Powis, who, as is well-known, saved her husband's life when he was imprisoned in the Tower, awaiting execution with Lords Derwentwater and Kenmure after the Civil War of 1715. v The Hon. Henry Maxwell assumed the name of Stuart, and was the father of Mr. Herbert Maxwell Stuart, the present proprietor of Traquair. Traquair is a specially interesting example of the old Scots mansion. The house and offices form three sides of a square, about 100 feet each way, the fourth side being closed by a railing in which there is an entrance gate-way. Along the exterior face of the main building runs a double terrace with a pavilion at each end. To this terrace it has a frontage of 122 feet, while to the courtyard the frontage is 100 feet. The building is of three periods. The oldest part is the north-east corner of the quadrangle which dates from the thirteenth century. In 1642 the building was extended by the first earl to the south-east, and the attic storey of the first portion was added....show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 186 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 10mm | 340g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236618432
  • 9781236618436