Town Histories

Town Histories

By (author) 

List price: US$9.72

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1886 edition. Excerpt: ...Feb. 14, 1810. Mr. Skinner had a settlement of three hundred dollars, and an annual salary of six hundred dollars, from which in a few years he saved enough to enable him to purchase a farm. He bought the house and lot at the corner of East and Smalley streets, and afterward purchased other real estate. He was a good farmer, and by economy and good managetaccumulated property, 4%, 7 /3 at his death in 1825 M aw') was inventoried at ten thousand dollars. During Mr. Skinnei"s ministry of fifteen years the changes in the place which had commenced in the latter part of Dr. Smalley's pastorate were becoming more marked. The present centre of the town and city was gradually transforming from a staid farming community into a thrifty manufacturing village. Thought was quickened, new enterprises were planned, the proportion of young people was increased, and society was gradually changing. The first Sundayschool society in Hartford County was organized in this parish in 1816, and Mr. Skinner was made the first president. 1 " Lieut. John Belden, Captain James North, Ensign Lewis Andrus and Elnnthan Smith were apointed to shingle and elapbord the meeting-House with pine clnbord and Shingles and also Coller the same with a Fashenable Coller." The revival of 1821 added to the number of church-goers, and a demand seemed to exist for additional accommodations for the people who were accustomed to attend preaching services. A lot for a new meeting-house was presented to the society by Isaac Lee, and in 1822 a neat and commodions church edifice was erected at a cost of about six thousand dollars in addition to what was obtained for the old meeting-house. This building was located at the corner of Main and East Main streets, ...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 268 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 14mm | 485g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236771885
  • 9781236771889