The Tourist's Companion; Being of Ripon, Studley Park, Fountains Abbey, Hackfall, Brimham Crage, Newby Hall, Knaresbrough, Harrogate, Harewood House

The Tourist's Companion; Being of Ripon, Studley Park, Fountains Abbey, Hackfall, Brimham Crage, Newby Hall, Knaresbrough, Harrogate, Harewood House

By (author) 

List price: US$14.14

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1822 edition. Excerpt: ...view; while the western one is bounded by the Craven hills. It formerly consisted of a few Farm houses and miserable cottages scattered over a bleak dreary heath, bat has now a regular and neatly built street, running north and south, having handsome Shops and four spacious Inns for the accommodation of visitors. The first Inn, called the Queen's Head, .was built in 1687. They are all elegantly fitted up; The breakfast and dining rooms are spacious; there are also boarding Houses; and for those who prefer retirement, there are many private Lodgings. Low Harrogate is about half amilewest, in the vale below, and possesses all the comforts and advantages resulting from good Inns and Lodging TheGranby, Dragon, Queen's Head, and Gascoigne's Hotel at High Harrogate; (he Crown, White Hart, Crescent, and Swan, at Low Harrogate; and Hattersley'i Hotel, at the houses of the former. A much greater number of Nobility and Gentry resort to these places, during the Season, than to any other Watering-place in the North. The communication between the two places are by means of four roads, two for carriages, and two footpaths across the fields, which are much shorter as well as pleasanter. On account of the great distance from the parish Churches, the inhabitants were obliged before the year 1744, to attend Divine Service at Knaresbrongh, when, by subscription, a Chapel was erected at High Harrogate, Lady Elizabeth Hastings favouring the design with a donation of 50. Here DivineService is performed on Sundays. Wednesdays, and Fridays, during the Summer, and on Sundays ouly in Winter: The chapel is dedicated to St. John: The vicar of Knaresbrough is patron. The first spring discovered here was the Old Spa, in 15.71, by Captain William Slingsby, and is situated...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 36 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 2mm | 82g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236544013
  • 9781236544018