Tourism in East and Southeast Asia CC 4V
- Mixed media product | 1404 pages
- 159 x 235 x 95.25mm | 2,781g
- 23 Feb 2018
- Taylor & Francis Ltd
- London, United Kingdom
- 55 Halftones, black and white; 63 Tables, black and white
Other books in this series
20 Apr 2011
Mixed media product
14 Jul 2014
Mixed media product
24 Jul 2014
Mixed media product
09 Aug 2012
Mixed media product
10 Jul 2014
Mixed media product
Table of contents
Edited by David Harrison, Jerry Eades and Victor T. King
Volume I: The Background: Concepts, Region and History
Introduction to volume 1
1. T. C. Chang, 'The Asian Wave and Critical Tourism Scholarship. International Journal of Asia Pacific Studies 11, S1, 2015, 83-101.
2. Victor T. King, 'Encounters and Mobilities: Conceptual Issues in Tourism Studies in Southeast Asia', SOJOURN: Journal of Social Issues in Southeast Asia 30, 2, 2015, 497-527.
Part 1: Historical perspectives
3. Constantine N. Vaporis, 'The Early Modern Origins of Japanese Tourism', Senri Ethnological Studies 38, 1995, 25-38.
4. Carolin Funck, 'The Roots of Japanese Culture', in Carolin Funck and Malcolm Cooper (eds.), Japanese Tourism (Oxford and New York, Bergahn, 2013), pp. 10-39.
5. Erich DeWald, 'The Development of Tourism in French Colonial Vietnam, 1918-1940', in J. Cochrane (ed.), Asian Tourism: Growth and Change (Amsterdam, Elsevier, 2008), pp. 221-232.
6. A. J. Stockwell, 'Early Tourism in Malaya', in M. Hitchcock, V. T. King and M. J. G. Parnwell (eds.), Tourism in South-East Asia (London and New York, Routledge, 1993), pp. 258-270.
7. Eric T. Jennings, 'From Indochine to Indochic: The Lang Bian/Dalat Palace Hotel and French Colonial Leisure, Power and Culture', Modern Asian Studies, 37, 1, 2003, 159-194.
8. Maurizio Peleggi, 'Consuming Colonial Nostalgia: The Monumentalisation of Historic Hotels in Urban South-East Asia', Asia Pacific Viewpoint, 46, 3, 2005, 255-265.
Part 2: Tourism and development
9. Trevor Sofield and Sarah Li, 'Tourism Governance and Sustainable National Development in China: A Macro-level Synthesis', Journal of Sustainable Tourism 19, 4, 2011, 501-534.
10. Wolfgang Georg Arlt, 'The Second Wave of Chinese Outbound Tourism', Tourism Planning & Development, 10, 2, 2013, 126-133.
11. Lonny E. Carlile, 'Economic Development and the Evolution of Japanese Overseas Tourism, 1964-1994', Tourism Recreation Research, 21, 1, 1996, 11-18.
12. Okpyo Moon, 'Japanese Tourists in Korea: Colonial and Post-colonial Encounters', in S. Guichard-Anguis and O. Moon (eds.), Japanese Tourism and Travel Culture (London and New York: Routledge, 2008), pp. 147-171.
13. E. Cohen, 'Thai Tourism: Trends and Transformations', in Thai Tourism: Hill Tribes, Islands and Open-ended Prostitution (2nd edition) (Bangkok, White Lotus Press, 2001), pp. 1-28.
14. J. Henderson, 'The New Dynamics of Tourism in South East Asia: Economic Development, Political Change and Destination Competitiveness', Tourism Recreation Research, 40, 3, 2015, 379-390.
15. R. W. Carter, 'Implications of Sporadic Tourist Growth: Extrapolation from the Case of Boracay Island, The Philippines', Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research, 9, 4, 2004, 383-404.
16. Lo Shiu Hing, 'Casino Politics, Organized Crime and the Post-Colonial State in Macau', Journal of Contemporary China, 14, 43, 2005, 207-224.
17. M. Hitchcock and I. Darma Putra, 'The 2002 Bali Bombings Crisis', in Tourism, Development and Terrorism in Bali (Aldershot, Ashgate, 2007), pp. 119-134.
Volume II: Stakeholders in the Political Economy of Tourism
Introduction to volume 2
Part 1: The Regional Context
18. C. Michael Hall, 'Tourism and Political Relationships in Southeast Asia', in P. Teo, T. C. Chang and K. C. Ho (eds), Interconnected Worlds: Tourism in Southeast Asia (Oxford: Elsevier, Pergamon, 2001), pp. 13-26.
19. David Harrison and Steven Schipani, 'Tourism in the Lao People's Democratic Republic', in M. Hitchcock, V. T. King and M. Parnwell (eds), Tourism in Southeast Asia: Challenges and New Directions (Copenhagen: NIAS Press and Honolulu: Hawai'i University Press, 2009), 165-188.
Part 2: The state and other stakeholders
20. Jingjing Yang, Chris Ryan and Lingyun Zhang, 'Social Conflict in Communities Impacted by Tourism', Tourism Management, 35, 2013, 82-93.
21. Pal Nyiri, 'Between Management and Control: Tourism, Modernity and Discipline in China', in T. Winter, P. Teo and T.C. Chang (eds), Asia on Tour: Exploring the Rise of Asian Tourism (London and New York: Routledge, 2008), pp. 153-169.
22. Shansan Dai, Honggang Xu, Noel Scott, Peiyi Ding and Eric Laws, 'Distortions in Tourism Development in the Dali Autonomous Region in China', Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research 17, 2, 2012, 146-163.
23. Gang Xu, 'Socioeconomic Impacts of Domestic Tourism in China: Case Studies in Guilin, Suzhon and Beidaihe', Tourism Geographies, 1, 2, 204-218.
24. Hilary du Cros, Thomas Bauer, Carlos Lo and Song Rui, 'Cultural Heritage Assets in China as Sustainable Tourism Products: Case Studies of the Hutongs and the Huanghua Section of the Great Wall', Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 13, 2, 2005, 171-194.
25. Jing Li, 'Tourism Enterprises, the State and the Construction of Multiple Dai Cultures in Contemporary Xishuang Banna, China', Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research, 9, 4, 2004, 315-330.
26. Yang Wang and Geoffrey Wall, 'Resorts and Residents: Stress and Conservatism in a Displaced Community', Tourism Analysis, 10, 1, 2005, 37-53.
27. Vannarith Chheang, 'The Political Economy of Tourism in Cambodia', Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research, 13, 3, 2008, 281-297.
Part 3: Entrepreneurship
28. Eric E. Rodenburg, 'The Effects of Scale in Economic Development: Tourism in Bali', Annals of Tourism Research, 7, 2, 177-196.
29. T. H. R. Havens, 'Japan at Play: The Seibu Railway Group in the 1980s', in Architects of Affluence (Cambridge MA: Harvard University Press, 1994), pp. 199-223.
30. Heather D. Zeppel, 'Entertainers or Entrepreneurs: Iban Involvement in Longhouse Tourism (Sarawak, Borneo)', Tourism Recreation Research, 23, 1, 1998, 39-45.
31. Opkyo Moon, 'The Development of the Tourist Industry', in From Paddy Field to the Ski Slope: The Rehabilitation of Tradition in Japanese Village Life (Manchester, Manchester: Manchester University Press, 1989), pp. 78-93.
Part 4: Interpersonal Contexts
32. Noel B. Salazar, 'Enough Stories! Asian Tourism Redefining the Roles of Asian Tour Guides', Civilisations, 57, 1/2, 2008 207-222.
33. E. Cohen, 'Open-ended Prostitution as a Skilful Game of Luck: Opportunity, Risk, and, Security Among Tourist-oriented Prostitutes in a Bangkok Soi', in M. Hitchcock, V. T. King and M. J. G. Parnwell (eds), Tourism in South-East Asia (London and New York, Routledge, 1993), pp. 155-178.
34. Yuk Wah Chan, 'Cultural and Gender Politics in China-Vietnam Border Tourism', in M. Hitchcock, V. T. King and M. Parnwell (eds), Tourism in Southeast Asia: Challenges and New Directions (Copenhagen: NIAS Press and Honolulu: Hawai'i University Press, 2009), pp. 206-221.
Volume III: The Global and the Local: Tourism, Culture and Identity
Introduction to volume 3
Part 1: Overview
35. Robert E. Wood, 'International Tourism and Cultural Change in Southeast Asia', Economic Development and Cultural Change, 28, 3, 561-581.
36. Trevor H. B. Sofield, 'Globalisation, Tourism and Culture in Southeast Asia', in P. Teo, T.C. Chang and K.C. Ho (eds), Interconnected Worlds: Tourism in Southeast Asia (Oxford: Elsevier Science, Pergamon, 2001), pp. 103-120.
37. Joan C. Henderson, 'Islam and Tourism: Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore', in N. Scott and J. Jafari (eds), Tourism in the Muslim World (Oxford; Emerald, 2010), pp. 75-90.
Part 2: China
38. Nelson Graburn, 'Ethnic Tourism in Rural China: Cultural or Economic Development?', in Anya Diekemann and Melanie Kay Smith (eds), Ethnic and Minority Communities as Tourist Attractions (Bristol: Channel View, 2015), pp. 176-187.
39. Yujie Zhu, 'When the Global Meets the Local in Tourism - Cultural Performances in Lijiang as Case Studies', Journal of China Tourism Research. 8, 3, 2015, 302-319.
40. Han Min, 'Representing Local Cultures and Heritage in Heshun, Hometown of the Overseas Chinese in Yunnan', in Min Han and Nelson Graburn (eds), Tourism and Globalization Perspectives on East Asian Societies, Senri Ethnological Studies, 76, 2010, 163-175.
41. Hsieh Shih-chung, 'Tourism, Formulation of Cultural Tradition, and Ethnicity: A Study of the Daiyan Identity of the Wulai Atayal', in S. Harrell and H. Shun-chieh (eds), Cultural Change in Post-war Taiwan (Boulder CO, Westview Press, 1994), pp. 184-201.
42. Opkyo Moon, 'Moving and Tourism in Time and Place: Korean National History Tourism to Northeast China', in D. W. Haines, K. Yamanaka and S. Yamashita (eds), Wind Over Water: Migration in an East Asian Context (Oxford, Berghahn, 2012), pp. 173-187.
Part 3: Japan
43. Jennifer Robertson, 'Hegemonic Nostalgia, Tourism, and Nation-making in Japan', Senri Ethnological Studies, 38, 1995, 89-103.
44. Joy Hendry, 'Fantasy Travel in Time and Space: A New Japanese Phenomenon?', in S. Guichard-Anguis and O. Moon (eds), Japanese Tourism and Travel Culture (London and New York: Routledge, 2008), pp. 129-144.
45. Yukio Toyoda, 'Recontextualizing Disney: Tokyo Disney Resort as a Kingdom of Dreams and Magic', Social Science Japan Journal, 17, 2, 2014, 207-226.
Part 4: Southeast Asia
46. Kathleen Adams, 'Indonesian Souvenirs as Micro-monuments to Globalization and Modernity: Hybridization, Deterritorialization and Commodification', in M. Hitchcock, V. T. King and M. Parnwell (eds), Tourism in Southeast Asia: Challenges and New Directions (Copenhagen: NIAS Press and Honolulu: Hawai'i University Press, 2009), pp. 69-82.
47. Tim Winter, 'Tomb Raiding Angkor: A Clash of Cultures', in Indonesia and the Malay World, 31, 89, 2003, 58-68.
48. Michel Picard, 'Touristification and Balinization in a Time of Reformasi', Indonesia and the Malay World, 31, 89, 2003, 108-118.
49. Shinji Yamashita, 'Manipulating Ethnic Tradition: The Funeral Ceremony, Tourism and Television Among the Toraja of Sulawesi', Indonesia, 58, 1994, 69-82.
50. E. M. Bruner, E. M (2004) Taman Mini: Self-constructions in an Ethnic Theme Park in Indonesia', in Cultures on Tour: Ethnographies of Travel (Chicago, University of Chicago Press, 2004), pp. 211-230.
51. Tom Selwyn, 'Peter Pan in South-East Asia: Views from the Brochures', in M. Hitchcock, V. T. King and M. Parnwell (eds), Tourism in South-East Asia (London and New York: Routledge, 1993), pp. 117-137.
Volume IV: Tourism Environments
Introduction to volume 4
Part 1: Tourism and the countryside
52. P. P. Wong, 'Southeast Asian Tourism: Traditional and New Perspectives on the Natural Environment', in P. Teo, T. C. Chang and K. C. Ho (eds), Interconnected Worlds: Tourism in Southeast Asia (Oxford, Pergamon, 2001), pp. 215-230.
53. Honggang Xu, Qingming Cui, Roy Ballantyne and Jan Packer, 'Effective Environmental Interpretation at Chinese Natural Attractions: The Need for an Aesthetic Approach', Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 21, 1, 2013, 117-133.
54. John Knight, 'From Timber to Tourism: Recommoditizing the Japanese Forest', Development and Change, 31, 2000, 341-359.
55. Ron Carle, 'The Development and Social Impact of Heritage Tourism in Ogimachi', Ritsumeikan Journal of Asia Pacific Studies, 12, 3, 2003, 1-60.
56. Lisa Hiwasaki, 'Community-based Tourism: A Pathway to Sustainability for Japan's Protected Areas', Society and Natural Resources, 19, 8, 675-692.
57. Norman Backhaus, '"Non-place Jungle": The Construction of Authenticity in National Parks in Malaysia', Indonesia and the Malay World, 31, 89, 2003, 151-160.
58. Roy Ellen and Jay Bernstein, 'Urbs in Rure: Cultural Transformations of the Rainforest of the Rainforest in Modern Brunei', Anthropology Today, 10, 4, 1994, 16-19.
59. Carol Warren, 'Tanah Lot: The Cultural and Environmental Politics of Resort Development in Bali', in P. Hirsch and C. Warren (eds), The Politics of Environment in Southeast Asia (London: Routledge, 1998), pp. 229-261.
Part 2: Tourism, towns and cities
60. Han Min, 'Tourism in Shaoshan, Mao Zedong's Home Village: From Revolutionary Memorial to Multipurpose Tourist Attraction', in S. Yamashita, K. H. Din and J. S. Eades (eds), Tourism and Cultural Development in Asia and Oceania (Bangi, Selangor, Penerbit Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, 1997), pp. 141-163.
61. Yiping Li and Zhiyi Hu, 'Red Tourism in China', Journal of China Tourism Research, 4, 2, 2008, 156-171.
62. Ning Wang, 'Urbanscape as Attraction: The Case of Guangzhou', in C. L. Cartier and A. A. Lew (eds), Seductions of Place: Geographical Perspectives on Globalization and Touristed Landscapes (London: Routledge, 2005), pp. 135-147.
63. Jerry Eades and Malcolm Cooper, 'Migrating Capitals: Diverging Images of Tradition and Modernity in Japanese Urban Tourism', in R. Maitland and B. Ritchie (eds), City Tourism: National Capital Perspectives (Wallingford, CAB International, 2009), pp. 50-61.
64. M. Creighton, 'The Heroic Edo-ic: Travelling the History Highway in Today's Tokugawa Japan', in S. Guichard-Anguis and Okpyo Moon (eds), Japanese Tourism and Travel Culture (London: Routledge, 2009), pp. 37-75.
65. Michael J. G. Parnwell, 'Heritage Management and Tourism Development in Hoi An, Vietnam', in V. T. King (ed.), UNESCO in Southeast Asia: World Heritage Sites in Comparative Perspective (Copenhagen: NIAS Press, 2016), pp. 75-107.
66. Davd Berliner, 'Multiple Nostalgias: The Fabric of Heritage in Luang Prabang (Lao PDR)', Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute, 18, 4, 2012, 769-786.
67. T. C. Chang, 'From "Instant Asia" to "Multi-faceted Jewel": Urban Imaging Strategies and Tourism Development in Singapore', Urban Geography, 18, 6, 2009, 542-562.
68. Wantanee Suntikul, 'Thai Tourism and the Legacy of the Vietnam War', in R Butler and W Suntikul (eds), Tourism and War (London: Routledge, 2013), pp. 92-105.
About David Harrison
Professor Jerry Eades is Honorary Senior Research Fellow in the School of Anthropology & Conservation at the University of Kent.
Victor T. King is Professor of Borneo Studies, Universiti Brunei Darussalam, Institute of Asian Studies. He is also Emeritus Professor, School of Languages, Cultures and Societies, University of Leeds; Professorial Research Associate, Centre of South East Asian Studies, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London; and Visiting Professor and Senior Editorial Advisor, Regional Center for Social Science and Sustainable Development, Faculty of Social Sciences, Chiang Mai University, Thailand.