Topographical Account of the District of Cunningham, Ayrshire

Topographical Account of the District of Cunningham, Ayrshire

By (author) 

List price: US$20.03

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1858 edition. Excerpt: ...of suburb of the town of Fenwick, now chiefly inhabited by bonnet makers. King's-kitchen.--Uncertain if now known. Klonhervie.--Part of the old barony of Polkelly, in the parish of Fenwick. In the retours it is written Clonherb. Karnell-fluvius.--This is a tributary of the water of Irvine. It has its rise in the parish of Fenwick; afterwards it passes through the parish of Kilmaurs, dividing it into nearly two equal parts, and here is called "Kilmaurs water;" but below this it takes the name of Carmel. Knagerhill.--This property is in the parish of Irvine, and was ultimately acquired by that burgh, which still retains it. Cuninghamhead Castell.--This old distinguished residence is situated in the parish of Dreghorn. Its older name, however, was Woodhead; but changed at a period long before it was at all common to indulge in such fancies. About the commencement of the fifteenth century, Sir William Cunningham of Kilmaurs gave these lands to his second son William, and from whom were descended this family, some of whose representatives eminently distinguished themselves throughout the great and important revolutionary transactions of the sixteenth and subsequent century. They appear, however, to have como to a close, in the direct line, about the year 1724; and in 1791 the late distinguished Colonel Fullarton of that Ilk was " served heir of line and representative of the family of Cuninghamhead, Barts."--Robertson's Ayrshire Families, ii. p. 122. In 1724, it is stated, the estate of Cuninghamhead was judicially sold, and purchased by John Snodgrass, writer in Edinburgh, with whoso heirs it remained till 1S46, when it was sold to William Kerr, formerly merchant in Virginia, United States of America, for the sum of 32,000...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 110 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 6mm | 213g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236554027
  • 9781236554024