Sussex Archaeological Collections Relating to the History and Antiquities of the County Volume 8

Sussex Archaeological Collections Relating to the History and Antiquities of the County Volume 8

List price: US$24.02

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1856 edition. Excerpt: ...of a man lying under its Sussex marble slab covering. This stone coffin appeared to have enclosed a wooden one with a roof-shaped lid. A MS. history of Bosham, written some time during the seventeenth century, states, that in the year 1637, the inhabitants pointed out to the writer, Mr. John Smythe,8 the foundations of an ancient building near the parish church, which from time immemorial had been called "St. Bede's Chapel." It is described as "a small chapel not larger in circuit than Bede maketh the cell of Dicul thereto adjoining to be." This probably was the remains of the college chapel. On the north side of the chancel of the church, which was founded in 1280, there was a small chantry, which was endowed with 32 acres of land at Appledram, the tax of which, according to the Nona? return, was valued at 8. The college survived until the general dissolution of monastic institutions by Henry VIII, at which period the canons were reduced to three. The college residence was first granted to Vincent Calmady; but the prebendal estates were retained by the crown until the 6th of Elizabeth, when they were granted to Sir Richard Sackville, at a reserved rent of 85. 6. 10d., who, in the same year, exchanged them and the manors of Eastergate and Birdham Bromer with the dean and chapter of Chichester for the lands of the dissolved priory of Wilmington. 8 This Mr. J. Smythe left in MS. a life of the Berkleys, Lords of Bosham, now in the College of Arms. It appears from the Sancroft Papers, in the Bodleian Library, Oxford,9 that by the alienation of these estates the collegiate church sustained so much damage that its necessary repairs could no longer be effected. To meet this difficulty then, a grant was made to it of the estate...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 152 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 8mm | 286g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236611543
  • 9781236611543