Structural Impact is concerned with the behaviour of structures and components subjected to large dynamic, impact and explosive loads which produce inelastic deformations. It is of interest for safety calculations, hazard assessments and energy absorbing systems throughout industry. The first five chapters introduce the rigid plastic methods of analysis for the static behaviour and the dynamic response of beams, plates and shells. The influence of transverse shear, rotatory inertia, finite displacements and dynamic material properties are introduced and studied in some detail. Dynamic progressive buckling, which develops in several energy absorbing systems, and the phenomenon of dynamic plastic buckling are introduced. Scaling laws are discussed which are important for relating the response of small-scale experimental tests to the dynamic behaviour of full-scale prototypes. This text is invaluable to undergraduates, graduates and professionals learning about the behaviour of structures subjected to large impact, dynamic and blast loadings producing an inelastic response.
- Electronic book text
- CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY PRESS
- Cambridge University Press (Virtual Publishing)
- Cambridge, United Kingdom
- 2nd Revised edition
- 282 b/w illus. 8 tables 110 exercises
Table of contents
1. Static plastic behaviour of beams; 2. Static plastic behaviour of plates and shells; 3. Dynamic plastic behaviour of beams; 4. Dynamic plastic behaviour of plates; 5. Dynamic plastic behaviour of shells; 6. Influence of transverse shear and rotatory inertia; 7. Influence of finite displacements; 8. Strain rate sensitive behaviour of materials; 9. Dynamic progressive buckling; 10. Dynamic plastic buckling; 11. Scaling laws.
'... will make a valuable contribution to this important and difficult area of structural mechanics. Structural Impact is well written ... and can be recommended as a reference textbook ...' Applied Mechanics Review '... a welcome addition to the collection of any upper-division undergraduate engineering library.' Choice Review of the first edition: '... an invaluable reference aid to a most difficult subject area, but is also structured to build knowledge progressively from very simple principles to the analysis of complex structures. This makes it a good book for teaching but also for practising engineers.' Materials and Design '... a pleasure to read. It can be used as a textbook at a graduate/undergraduate level and will also be valuable to practising engineers. This book is recommended strongly to anyone interested in impact ...' Shock and Vibration Digest