The Straw Plaitting and Straw Hat and Bonnet Trade, with a Digest of the Recent Census for the Luton District, and an Account of the Increase of the N

The Straw Plaitting and Straw Hat and Bonnet Trade, with a Digest of the Recent Census for the Luton District, and an Account of the Increase of the N

By (author) 

List price: US$14.14

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1871 edition. Excerpt: ...situation was, except in rare seasons of drought, bountifully supplied with springs, yet the substitution of Waterworks-supply could not fail to assert its superiority over the well or pump, in a population so teeming with the female part of the community. In 1868, an exchange was effected with John Sambrook Crawley Esq., of Stockwood, whereby the Freeholders of Luton gave 13 acres of the old Moor in the Bedford Boad, in return for about 28 acres of arable land, at and near Pepper Hill, on the northern side of the town. About 14 acres were afterwards purchased, and the whole, containing about 42 acres, has been converted into a People's Park, which, by the aid of subscriptions, and under a Committee, who are indebted to Mr. Samuel Toyer, of Bedford Boad Villas, for very valuable aid, this has been planted and laid out in a highly picturesque and artistic manner, and promises in a few years to become a beautiful retreat. It is supplied with an excellent and extensive Cricket Ground, as well as a large area of grazing for cattle and horses. The town has three Cemeteries, two being in Crawley Green Eoad, that is, the burial grounds for the Established Church and for the "Friends;" the other belonging to the General Cemetery Company, is in Rothesay Road, on the opposite side of the town. This latter is well laid out, and has become one of the most lovely spots in the neighbourhood. The County Court is held at Luton every month. The Judge is James Whigham, Esq.; the Registrar, Charles Addington Austin, Esq., of George Street, Luton. The Police arrangements, under the able superintendence of Mr. Samuel Pope, are highly satisfactory. The Police Station and Court House are in Stuart Street, Luton. The force consists of a Superintendent, one...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 30 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 2mm | 73g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236585828
  • 9781236585820