The Stranger's Guide in Philadelphia to All Public Buildings, Places of Amusement, Commercial, Benevolent, and Religious Institutions, and Churches, Principal Hotels, & C.; Including Laurel Hill, Woodlands, Monument, Odd-Fellows' and

The Stranger's Guide in Philadelphia to All Public Buildings, Places of Amusement, Commercial, Benevolent, and Religious Institutions, and Churches, Principal Hotels, & C.; Including Laurel Hill, Woodlands, Monument, Odd-Fellows' and

By (author) 

List price: US$22.39

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1866 edition. Excerpt: ...wards, three stories in height, to two wings, extending north and south. These wings are surmounted by cupolas, and finished so as to present fronts on Eighth and Ninth Streets. The centre building is sixty-four feet front, by sixty-one in depth, and, to the top of the balustrade surrounding the cupcla, seventy-two in height. That portion of the Hospital first erected, was the east wing, the corner-stone of which was laid May 28th, 1755, by John Key, the first European born in Philadelphia. It was finished and opened for the reception of patients, the following year. The west wing was erected in 1796, and the centre in 1805. In addition to the main edifice, there are various outhouses, together with a building on Spruce Street, erected for the exhibition of West's celebrated painting of " Christ Healing the Sick." Thelnet proceeds from the exhibition of this picture, from 1818 until 1848, when it was removed to the Academy of Fine Arts, where it still remains, was nearly $24,000. A well-executed statue of William Penn, presented by his grandson, John Penn, Esq., stands in the beautiful lawn facing Pine Street. (See page 138.) The attention paid to neatness and ornament in the exterior and grounds of this Institution, gives it an air of elegance seldom equalled in establishments of the kind. Previous to the year 1841, a large portion of the building was appropriated to the accommodation of the insane; but since the transfer of this class of patients to the new hospital, the building has been, in a great measure, remodelled, and thoroughly repaired; giving, in consequence-, an enlarged accommodation for the ordinary medical and surgical patients. The whole revenue of this noble charity is devoted, directly or indirectly, ...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 70 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 4mm | 141g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236897765
  • 9781236897763