The Standard Guide to St. Augustine

The Standard Guide to St. Augustine

By (author) 

List price: US$14.15

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1889 edition. Excerpt: ...Fort Marion. But however commonplace and practical may have been the real purpose and use of these underground chambers in old times, they are certainly uncanny and mysterious enough now, and when one follows the guide's torch from the dark rooms, through the "dungeon crawl," into the last gloomy pent recess, some weird tale of hapless victims entombed alive harmonizes with the flickering torch, the damp earthy odor, and the dimly seen smokebegrimed encompassing walls. Facing the court on the north was the chapel (15). Its walls and ceiling and altar and niches are bright with mould and moss and lichen; strange mutations have come to town and fort since the room was dismantled of its ornaments. The chapel was used for religious services as late as the civil war. In 1875 it was converted into a school-room for the Western Indians who were confined here. The elaborate portico of the chapel was the most pretentious bit of architecture of the fort; but has so crumbled away that its form can no longer be traced. In the wall outside, above the chapel door, the French astronomers, who came here in 1879 to observe the transit of Venus, have left a marble tablet in commemoration of the visit. The inscription reads: "Plaque commemorative du passage de Venus observe au Fort Marion le 9 Dcembre, 1882, par MM. le Colonel Perrier, le Commandant Bassat, le Capitaine DefNiche In Chapel. foges, de I'Armee Francaise." In the northwest bastion is another dark room (16). Some of these dark dungeons of the fort have been used at different times for the confinement of SALLY-PORT AND WATCH TOWER. prisoners. Patriots from Charleston were confined here by the British in the Revolution; the Spaniards kept the famous outlaw McGirth in one of these cells...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 32 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 2mm | 77g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 123664140X
  • 9781236641403