Special Consular Reports Volume 20

Special Consular Reports Volume 20

List price: US$19.65

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1900 edition. Excerpt: ...above referred to, provided that they established a third school. The condition named was immediately accepted, and in 1847 the third school was opened. A little later a fourth was added to the existing number. These nurseries or schools were under the management of rourteen mistresses and four assistants, all of whom were obliged to be in attendance upon their duties throughout the entire day. During the winter season the children were confined eight hours in the schools and during the summer season twelve hours--that is to say, from 7 o'clock in the morning until 7 o'clock in the evening. The municipality contributed to the organization of these schools, aided in their furnishing, and paid also the rent of the premises occupied. These institutions were established for the purpose of education, the moral and physical development of children, but from their commencement the association undertook to partially feed them as well. To meet the expense of so doing, a small daily contribution was made by the parents of those provided for. Each day, soup made at the headquarters of the charitable association was served to the children. These useful institutions rendered great services to the poorer classes of the population. They alleviated to a considerable extent their household cares and were the means of ridding the mothers of very considerable anxiety and trouble. The lady patronesses and mistresses displayed an equal amount of zeal and devotion to their duties, but these virtues alone did not suffice to educate to the best advantage children from 3 to 6 years of age. This fact was first brought to the attention of the public in 1874 by Mr. E. Allewaert, the alderman charged with the duties of public instruction. His idea was that the...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 124 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 7mm | 236g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236934474
  • 9781236934475