Special Agents Series Volume 132-148

Special Agents Series Volume 132-148

List price: US$18.79

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1917 edition. Excerpt: ...exceptionally good and that the first class, or carded No. 1, occurs in higher percentage than in nuts from other countries. This is the quality used in weaving, and it constitutes about 40 per cent of the coir content of each nut. After being extracted and carded, it is tied in bundles of a few pounds each. The uncarded, or No. 2, constitutes the remaining 60 per cent. This is put in small bales and sold for upholstering and as filling for mattresses, pillows, horse collars, and similar articles. The fiber is light, resilient, odorless, and sanitary. A thousand of the nuts will produce about 300 pounds of fiber. Heretofore no use has been made of the husks in Vorto Rico save to burn them for the potash and salts contents on land to be cultivated, or else to pile them thickly about the roots of the coconut trees to form a mulch and, by finally rotting, add humus to the soil. No manufacture of copra is recorded in Porto Rico, the large demand for the green nuts and the ready market for the ripe ones precluding any attempt to work them up either into oil or by drying the meat. A NEW VAWETY DISCOVERED. In this connection it is interesting to note that in the vicinity of Arecibo and Bayamon a variety of nut has been found that contains a fibrous center and much thicker meat than the ordinary nut and has, therefore, a larger oil content. Nuts of this character are not unknown in the Philippines, where they are esteemed a great delicacy. It is possible that the seed in Porto Rico may have come from that source. Trees producing these nuts are said not to spring from the fibrous nuts but from ordinary nuts borne on the same tree with the " freaks," there being a certain proportion that are no different from the ordinary nut growrn on...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 616 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 31mm | 1,084g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236756215
  • 9781236756213