SpaceX : Making Commercial Spaceflight a Reality
Formed in 2002 by Elon Musk, the founder of PayPal and the Zip2 Corporation, SpaceX has already developed two state-of-the-art new launch vehicles, established an impressive launch manifest, and been awarded COTS funding by NASA to demonstrate delivery and return of cargo to the ISS.
This book describes how simplicity, low-cost, and reliability can go hand in hand, as promoted in the philosophy of SpaceX. It explains how, by eliminating the traditional layers of internal management and external sub-contractors and keeping the vast majority of manufacturing in house, SpaceX reduces its costs while accelerating decision making and delivery, controls quality, and ensures constant liaison between the design and manufacturing teams.
- Paperback | 206 pages
- 168 x 240 x 15.24mm | 3,829g
- 01 Aug 2013
- Springer-Verlag New York Inc.
- New York, United States
- 2013 ed.
- 42 Illustrations, color; 44 Illustrations, black and white; XVI, 206 p. 86 illus., 42 illus. in color.
Other books in this series
09 Feb 2015
Back cover copy
This is the story of how one company is transforming commercial space flight. It describes the extraordinary feats of engineering and human achievement that have resulted in the world's first fully reusable launch vehicles and the prospect of human travel to Mars.
SpaceX - The First Ten Years:
- explores the philosophy behind the success of SpaceX;
- explains the practical management that enables SpaceX to keep it simple, reliable, and affordable;
- details the developmentof the Falcon 1, Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy rockets and the technology of the Merlin engines;
- describes the collaboration with NASA;
- introduces current SpaceX projects, including the Grasshopper reusable launch vehicle and the Stratolaunch System.
SpaceX - The First Ten Years is a portrait of one of the most spectacular spaceflight triumphs of the 21st century, one that is laying the foundation for humanity to become a spacefaring civilization.
Table of contents
About Erik Seedhouse