Southern Germany, Including Wurtemberg and Bavaria; Handbook for Travellers

Southern Germany, Including Wurtemberg and Bavaria; Handbook for Travellers

By (author) 

List price: US$25.69

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1895 edition. Excerpt: ...portal is adorned with curious sculptured figures of men and animals, perhaps symbolical of the victory of Christianity over paganism. The church, a Romanesque basilica of the latter half of the 12th cent., containing columns with interesting old capitals, has lately been restored. The old monastery is now a seminary for priests.--In the vicinity, outside the Jakobsthor, is a Gothic Column of 1459 with scriptural scenes and statues of saints, restored in 1855. To the E. of the Jakobskirche is the Bismarck-platz (PI. B, 3), with pleasure-grounds, on the S.E. side of which rises the large Gothic Dominikanerkirche. The Gesandten-Str. (PI. B, C, 3), with its handsome houses, leads straight on to the E. to the NeupfarrPlatz, passing the Prot. Dreieinigkeitskirche. In the adjoining court a number of interesting tombstones are built into the wall. Farther on the house of Herr Schwarz (C, 93) contains the Collections of the Natural History Society (adm. on the 1st and 3rd Sun. of each month, 10-12). The Bereiterweg leads to the S. from the Bismarck-Platz, passing the Prasidialgebaude (PI. 4), on the right, and the Old Gymnasium (PI. 3), on the left, to the.iegimbn-platz (PI. B, 3), where are situated the Rom. Cath. Krankenhaus and the Gothic Aegidienkirche (13th cent.), recently restored. The Marschall-Str. to the left leads thence past the Regierungsgebdude to the Emmerams-platz (PI. C, 3), embellished with a statue of Bishop Joh. Mich. Sailer (d. 1832), in bronze, by Widnmann, erected by Ludwig I. in 1868. The old Benedictine Abbey of St. Emmeram (PI. 0, 3, 4), one of the oldest in Gormany, was founded in the 7th cent., and suppressed in 1803. The Romanesque church, with two choirs and a crypt, dates from the 11th cent., and was restored early in last...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 170 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 9mm | 313g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236643747
  • 9781236643742