The South of Devon and Dartmoor; Torquay, Teignmouth, Dartmouth, Dawlish, Totnes, Ashburton, Newton, Moreton, Kingsbridge, Tavistock, &C., with a Sketch of the Natural History of the District..

The South of Devon and Dartmoor; Torquay, Teignmouth, Dartmouth, Dawlish, Totnes, Ashburton, Newton, Moreton, Kingsbridge, Tavistock, &C., with a Sketch of the Natural History of the District..

By (author) 

List price: US$6.29

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1870 edition. Excerpt: ...tortuous and fantastic manner. Among the interstices of the rocks in this desolate place snakes and adders find an habitation; a knowledge of which will enable the visitant, with common prudence, easily to avoid them. Above Wistman's Wood, between it and Little-bee Tor, and also between Wistman's Wood and Crockern Tor are very numerous hut circles, some of them placed in juxtaposition so as to form a kind of street. Close to Wistman's Wood rises CROCKERN TOR, Celebrated as the place where the ancient stannary parliaments were held. On the summit of this Tor the chief miners of Devon were, by their charter, obliged to meet; and sometimes two or three hundred assembled, when the commission was opened, the jurors sworn, and other preliminary business gone through, after which the court was adjourned for the final arrangement to one of the stannary towns. A court of this description was held here as late as the year 1749. The tables and seats of the stannators, hewn out of the rock, or composed of rough blocks of stone, are said to have remained on the rock in the position as used on these occasions, many years after this period. Time and the more quick and ready hand of human destroyers have been at work, and of these vestiges there are not now many remaining. There is a ledge of stones on one part of it, and many loose ones lying without any apparent form or regularity. A large stone, supposed to have been a portion of the table or judgc's chair has been traced within a few years, to Dennabridge Farm, on the Ashburton Road. From Two Bridges we are only a mile from the large GO'ERNHENT PRISON OF PRINCE TOWN, Built in 1806 for the confinement of prisoners of war, but now appropriated to the detention of convicts. From nine to...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 72 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 4mm | 145g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236897269
  • 9781236897268