Saint Mirin; An Historical Account of Old Houses, Old Families, and Olden Times, in Paisley
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1872 edition. Excerpt: ... Houses with a nepus was a style of architecture very prevalent in Paisley in the year 1780, and must have been much admired at that time, from the number that is to be seen in different parts of the town. A nepus was an expensive erection, very unremunerative, from the first cost and the annual repairs required. It was generally adopted at a period when hundreds of houses were erecting in town, to lodge the thousands of immigrants flocking from other places to share in the high wages allowed for weaving; but that style of architecture, like some of the fancy fabrics of the place, scarcely survived its introduction. In 1771, the population of Paisley was 5000; and in ten years thereafter, 1781, it bad leaped up to 16,000; and in other ten years, 1791, to 20,000. John Paton executed a Deed of Settlement in 1798, conveying his property to his children, John, Matthew, and James Paton. Their descendants sold it in 1853. A portion of Paisley Abbey towering above the surrounding buildings is visible from this part of Causeyside, and the venerable building is an object that never loses its interest in the eyes of the inhabitants of the town and stranger visitors. It has frequently formed the subject of the poet, the painter, and the photographer; and I may be pardoned in referring to one of the painters on the present occasion. In 1828, the then Burgher old meeting-house situated in Abbey-close, directly opposite the Abbey, was taken down for the purpose of erecting a modern and more commodious church. On the removal of the old building, which had stood sixty years, one of the grandest views that could be imagined of the magnificent western gable of the Abbey, was opened up from Causeyside. Measures were immediately taken by a number of townsmen for...
- Paperback | 62 pages
- 189 x 246 x 3mm | 127g
- 29 Jun 2012
- Miami Fl, United States
- Illustrations, black and white