A Report on the Antiquities of Lower Nubia; (The First Cataract to the Sudan Frontier) and Their Condition in 1906-7

A Report on the Antiquities of Lower Nubia; (The First Cataract to the Sudan Frontier) and Their Condition in 1906-7

List price: US$11.68

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1907 edition. Excerpt: ...left along the river's edge. This has a breadth of some 60 metres and leads back to a second terrace or platform, and upon this the front pylon of the temple rises, being slightly deflected from the axis. Between the upper and lower terrace there is a causeway 6 metres wide and 53 metres long, running out towards the river in the axis of the temple, and ending in a rectangular platform, while at the west end a flight of steps leads up to the temple. Passing through the pylon one enters the great hall, which originally was embellished with a colonnade on the north, east, and south sides. From this hall one passes through a doorway into the hypostyle hall, from which a doorway on the north and south sides leads into a court, enclosed by a high wall, two metres thick, which shuts in the western end of the temple. This may also be entered from the west side of the great hall. From the hypostyle hall one enters the vestibule, and passes on into the adytum, and finally into the sanctuary, the doors of these three chambers being in the main axis of the temple. A stairway leads from the south side of the vestibule to the roof. The whole temple is enclosed by an enormous girdle wall, starting from either side of the front pylon, and enclosing a large area. This wall is four metres thick, and is constructed like that of the fortress at Kertassi, i. e., with two skins of masonry, having a space between filled with loose stones. It rises at an average distance of nine metres from the inner wall. At the south-west corner of the space thus enclosed there is a rock chapel, which may have been intended as a 'Birth-house.' There was a portico in front of the door of this chapel. At the north-east corner of the temple there was again a chapel. Present As...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 82 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 4mm | 163g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236824709
  • 9781236824707