Report of the Board of Regents Volume 41, No. 1

Report of the Board of Regents Volume 41, No. 1

By (author) 

List price: US$12.90

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1889 edition. Excerpt: ...Jefferys, 1871. G. M. Whipple, 1870. Erected in 17CS as the private observatory of George III; in 1841 it was dismantled and transferred to the British Association for use as a physical observatory; in 1871, having been endowed by J. P. Gassiolt, esq., it was placed uuder the control of a committee of the Royal Society. Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. Imperial Nautical Observatory. Longitude from Greenwich, 21' 52"' 41.41" W. Latitude, 22 54' 23.7" S. Directors: A. M. De Hells, 1830. E. Liais, 1871. L. Cruls. Founded in 1780'; restored in 1871. Rome, Italy. I. Osscrvatorio astronomico del Colcgio Romano. Longitude from Greenwich, 49'" 55.5" E. Latitude, 41 53' 53.7" N. Directors: G. Asclepi, 1704. G. Calandrelli, 1773. S. DUMOUCHEL, 1824. F. DE Vico, 183S. A. Secchi, 1849. G. S. Ferrar, 1878. P. Tacchini, 1879. Before the establishment of a regular observatory a succession of astronomers, more or less famous, made use of temporary accommodations. In the buildings of the old college Clavias made observations with a zenithal sector in 1572 and following years. Sscueiner collected the materials for his famous Rosa Ursina, the printing of which was completed in 1G30 at the new college, west of the Church of St. Ignatius. There, too, GoTTiGNiES andBoRGONDio made occasional observations. Maire observed the comet of 1S44 at the English college. Boscovich fixed himself in the principal hall of the Kircher Museum. Finally, Asclepi organized a permanent establishment in 1704; and in 1787 a square tower was built to accommodate the observatory at the eastern angle of the college facade on via del Gesii. A new building was put up in 1S53, having for substructure the enormous piles which had been intended to support the dome...show more

Product details

  • Paperback
  • 189 x 246 x 20mm | 694g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236892801
  • 9781236892805