Report Volume 1-3

Report Volume 1-3

List price: US$19.99

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1906 edition. Excerpt: ...great regret of all lovers of such interesting landmarks which mark a period in history. THE FRELIGH FAMILY. FROM WHOM FRELIGHSBURG IS NAMED. Abram Freligh, who was a physicIan, came to what is now known as Frelighsburg, from Clinton, Dutchess County, New York, In the month of February, 1800, bringing with him his wife and family of twelve children. It is reported that Mr. Freligh, who was a man of means, required a cavalcade of twenty-one teams to haul the goods that he brought with him. Mr. Freligh was a man of means and position in New York, and held several slaves, all of which he freed prior to his departure for Canada. He purchased the grist and saw mills and fulling mills, together with 200 acres of land, paying J4.000 for them. He died the following July, and was succeeded by his son Richard, who died In the 50's. There was located at Frelighsburg what was known as a "trip hammer shop," as early as 1802, in which most of the mill irons used In the early saw mills of Brome and Mlssisquoi were made. The founder of this Industry was one Isaac Smith. Of the sons of Abram Freligh, one Galloway moved to Bedford, in 1826, and became the first postmaster, opening the post office in the building recently occupied by Leander Gosselin, as grocery, and burned on the 10th of March 1905. This building was built by Hon. Robert Jones on the site of the present Hotel Tarte, and removed by the late Abel L. Taylor to the place where it burned. In 1844, Mr. Galloway Freligh, together with Nathaniel Brown, John Chandler, Abel L. Taylor and C. Martindale, were appointed a commission to try inferior cases. This commission was recorded In Kingston, Ont., In the first register of commissioners.--o--THE RICE FAMILY. STANBRIDGE. Among the pioneers of...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 100 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 5mm | 195g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 123659777X
  • 9781236597779