Repertorium Ecclesiasticum Parochiale Londinense; An Ecclesiastical Parochial History of the Diocese of London, Containing an Account of the Bishops of That Sea, from the First Foundation Thereof Volume 1

Repertorium Ecclesiasticum Parochiale Londinense; An Ecclesiastical Parochial History of the Diocese of London, Containing an Account of the Bishops of That Sea, from the First Foundation Thereof Volume 1

By (author) 

List price: US$27.61

Currently unavailable

We can notify you when this item is back in stock

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1708 edition. Excerpt: ... Sir Edward Tumor, Speaker of the House of Commons (to whom he was then Chaplain) made to the Chancellor of the latter end of Off. 1688. Atlh Ox. Vol. II k Lionel Gatjbrd, the present Rector, 1700. cra: Soper-lane) upon the Consideration mention'd in the Grant, as may be Append.N.z. seen in the Appendix. Stow. Surv. l/Villiam Hariot, Draper, Mayor of London, 1481. was buried in a fair 133-Chapel built by him in this Church, 1517. ' Sir John Hawlzinr, famous in our English History for his discoveries of Fo reign Lands, particularly in the PI/'est-Inrlies, liv'd in this Parish at least zo g. and his Body being coffin'd was thrown into the Sea, -yet Dame Margam his second Wife on the North-side of the Chancel of this Church erected to his Memory a fair Mo nument in the Wall, with an Inscription; and by his Tomb hung a fair Ta ble fastned in the Wall, with a long Copy of Vetses containing his Life and ibid. 140. Death, both which may be seen in Stow. R-_ C-BOUP-Here was a Chantry founded for the Souls of John ffosham, and Alice his Chleh U" Wife, and the Soul of John Potyn, and was call'd Potjrfs Chantrj. Sto.Sur.83z. This Church being very much decay'd, was in 1630, 31, and 32. fully re-paifid, and richly bcautified. The Charge whereof amounted to 2400 l. and upwards. it was again repaired chiefiy (if not wholly) by the Bounty of the Lady Dioflj! Williamson of HaleJ-Hall, in the County of Norfolk, who gave 4oool. for Pecul. Cant. the " the Rebuilding thereof, since which the Walls of the old Tower have been pull'd down, and in the Place thereof, a new Tower erected from the very _-, all the Fruits and Obventions of the same, and bear all the Burthens ordinary and extraordinary belonging thereunto. And besides that, should pay to the...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 170 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 9mm | 313g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236901401
  • 9781236901408