The Records of Oxford, Mass; Including Chapters of Nipmuck, Huguenot and English History from the Earliest Date, 1630

The Records of Oxford, Mass; Including Chapters of Nipmuck, Huguenot and English History from the Earliest Date, 1630

By (author) 

List price: US$18.95

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1894 edition. Excerpt: ...of men come and go these old ruins look down on many changes." To-day there is seen in the distance the village street with its churches, rising among them the tower of the Episcopal church, very difiercnt in its architecture from the rude French chapel of two hundred years ago, where preached the Rev. Daniel Bondet, ordained at Fullam palace by Bishop Compton of London. In 1713 at the close of Queen Anne's war was the settlement of English families commenced in Oxford, the required number of thirty families being obtained. The settlement was made in the good old colony time, when we lived under the queen " when queues were long and patches large." Richard Moore, Esq., Lieut. John Town and Col. Ebenezer Learned were gentlemen, then good servants to the queen, and were enhancing her most gracious Majesty's interests by endeavoring to increase her government by the settlement of Oxford. "Oxford was made a town May 16, 1683. In the year 1693 a particular act passed empowering Oxford to send a representative to the ' General Court' as appears by the records in the Secretai-y's olfice of this Commonwealth." "' Whitney's Histgy of Worcester County, Mass. In 1694 an assessment of taxes was made and sent with an order for its collection, to the constable of the French plantation, Andrew Sigourney. The grant for Oxford was made 1681-2. Mr. John Gore of Roxbury made the survey, and a return of_ the same being presented to the " General Court," it was accepted, and on May 16, 1683, theygranted the plantation and it received the name of Oxford, after a city of that name in England, and was at that time a town in Sufiolk county. The grant for Oxford had a great...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 134 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 7mm | 254g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236743563
  • 9781236743565