Rapallo, Past & Present; Walks and Excursions

Rapallo, Past & Present; Walks and Excursions

By (author) 

List price: US$15.84

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1905 edition. Excerpt: ...on Chiavari can be obtained from Signor Borzone, Piazza Carlo-Alberto. Chiavari (included with the surrounding frazioni of Bacezza, Bi, Rovereto, etc.) is one of the eight mamlamenti into which the circonda/m'o of Chiavari is divided. It is the seat of the Electoral College of Chiavari, and of the Consulates of Peru, Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil, and Paraguay, there being a good deal of emigration to South America. A detachment of infantry is quartered here. There are a number of public and private institutions, hospitals, schools, clubs, a theatre, and the fine library of the Societat Economica, 1in Via Ravaschiera. In this same street are the Portici Neri (black porticos) remnants of the old palace of the Ravaschieri, much restored in parts, whence edicts were issued, and where the Governor lived before he moved to the Palazzo di Giustizia. Tomaso Ravaschiera was the first Captain of Chiavari. From behind this palazzo (now called Pizzorno) is reached the old Castello overlooking the town, of which, with its suburbs in the hills, and the Bay of Tigullio, a charming view is obtained from the summit. Beyond a ruined tower, supported inside by a huge pillar, little remains of this once famous stronghold. It was erected in the middle of the twelfth century, chiefly as a defence against the encroachments of the powerful Counts of Lavagna. No traces remain, either, of the walls of the town which, starting from this castle, and descending by the Via della Vecchie Mure, environed the town below and rose again along the present Piazza XX. Settembre to rejoin the Castle. They were built in 1147, and rebuilt in I335 after an invasion of the Catalani, who destroyed the borough of Rupinaro, formerly called Rovina--perhaps on account of its ruined...show more

Product details

  • Paperback
  • 189 x 246 x 3mm | 100g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236771729
  • 9781236771728