Ramsgate Municipal Airport : A Pictorial History
The RFC used the Ramsgate site for emergency landings during December 1914, but it was not developed until the 1930s when Ramsgate councillors proposed an airport be established, and flying commenced in June 1935. Popularity was increased by Sir Alan Cobham's National Aviation Day which was held on 1 August 1935, and a Flying Flea Rally took place in 1936. Crilly and Hillman Airways moved in, but suspended services very soon afterwards. The airfield was extended in 1936, and Flying Holidays took place. On 3 July 1937, Ramsgate Airport Ltd reopened the airport, and the following year the Royal Auxiliary Air Force held summer camps there. Thanet Aero Club joined the Civil Air Guard scheme, and Southern Airways operated a service across the Thames Estuary during the summer, but this all came to a close when war was declared on 3 September 1939. The airfield reopened in 1940 for military use and during the Battle of Britain, Ramsgate, along with nearby RAF Manston, was bombed on 24 August 1940. Following this, and with invasion fears at their height, the airport was obstructed, not reopening until 27 June 1953. Air Kruise Ltd operated on a lease from Ramsgate Cooperation, flying to Europe, and Skyphotos and Skyflights 1950s took over until the summer of 1958. Chrisair started joyriding in 1960, and following their departure in 1963 little happened until East Kent Air Services formed in 1967, but they were not commercially successful and Ramsgate Airport finally closed during 1968. Developers took over and the Art Deco Terminal/Clubhouse was demolished. This book is witness to Ramsgate Airport, now sadly gone.
- Paperback | 128 pages
- 156 x 234 x 10mm | 300g
- 25 Apr 2019
- Fonthill Media
- Toadsmoor Road, United Kingdom
- 236 black and white photographs
About Anthony John Moor
Living close to Rochester Airport as a young boy in the 1950s, the author became interested in aviation. Later he joined the Air Training Corps, and then moved to Malta where his father served in the Royal Navy. In 1964 he began a five year Engineering Apprenticeship at the de Havilland Technical School, Hatfield and worked in the workshops and offices of Hawker Siddeley which had taken over de Havilland Hatfield in the 1960s. Remaining in engineering, he became a draughtsman working for company in Germany and England, including Metair Aircraft Equipment at West Malling airfield. Retired, he maintains his enthusiasm for aviation.