Proceedings and Papers Read Before the Lehigh County Historical Society Volume 1

Proceedings and Papers Read Before the Lehigh County Historical Society Volume 1

List price: US$18.07

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks


This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1908 edition. Excerpt: ...Berks County; Wilmington, Delaware; Lykens Valley and Berwick, Pa., and at Phillipsburg and Bridgeport, New Jersey. He was a man of good spirit and of undoubted Chirstian life and character. His ministrations in the Schnecksville charge are to this day highly spoken of and gratefully remembered. He died at Catawissa, Pa., November 21, 1892. REv. JosIAH S. RENNINGER. Rev. Renninger was elected at Egypt on April 29, accepted the call on May 20, and preached his first sermon there on June 7, 1867. He came from Ringtown, Schuylkill County. He at first occupied the parsonage at Schnecksville but later on moved to his farm not far from Union Church, known as the "Scheidy Farm." During the last years of his service in this charge he lived in Slatington. He was born in Montgomery County, March 7, 1838. After his preparatory education he was graduated from the Theological Seminary, at Gettysburg, licensed to preach by the Allegheny synod and ordained by the Ministerium of Penna., in 1864. After serving congregations in the western part of the State he came to Schuylkill County and then to Egypt. In 1869 he organized the Lutheran congregation in Slatington and erected a Union Church which was dedicated on Christmas of I869. This congregation soon became self-supporting and called Rev. D. K. Kepner as its pastor. During his ministry he also established preaching places at Schnecksville and Slatedale, and in both places neat chapels were erected. He also organized the congregation at Laury's, in 1872, where a very fine building was erected for the use of the Lutheran and Reformed congregations. In Whitehall Station he established a preaching place and erected a neat chapel in 1884. The place is now called Cementon and, since more

Product details

  • Paperback | 92 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 5mm | 181g
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236991559
  • 9781236991553