Pontefract; Its Name, Its Lords, and Its Castle. a Concise History

Pontefract; Its Name, Its Lords, and Its Castle. a Concise History

By (author) 

List price: US$19.99

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1878 edition. Excerpt: ...and granted a fixity of ienure, which very much increased the value, of former concessions. Only the first of these Charters now remains, though the second was in the town chest but a few years ago. That which is still there is written in a very good hand, but not so clear and distinct as that which engrossed the Charter of 1194; it is full of contractions, and embodies iu its entirety the Charter of Roger. It was through the rights conferred by the missing Earl of Lincoln." 133 Chai ter that the Corporation of Pontefract have claimed the many waste bits of corner ground within the boundaries of the Borough, and parted with the right of enclosure for a money payment. Acres at a time have thus been taken in, the Corporation being the root of the title, and granting an original deed under their common seal, which the Mayor was generally required to attach openly and publicly at "a general meeting," that is to say at one in which every burgess had a vote. In the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, indeed, this privilege was much abused; and to that abuse is due the crowded condition of the houses between Salter Row and Shoemarket, where the owner of almost every tenement has exercised his right of "encroachment," paying therefor a small fine, and promising to pay an anuual sixpence or shilling towards the fee-farm rent; a promise which, owing to the diminished value of money and other causes, now involves nothing, since the Corporation appears to think the amount to be too small to be worth collecting. There is no certain record when Henry de Lacy became Earl of Lincoln by the death of his mother, but it must have been between 1278 and 1280. Letters patent exist under date 15 June, 1270, commanding Henry de Lacy to...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 86 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 5mm | 168g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 123656703X
  • 9781236567031