The Picture of Liverpool; With Notices of the Environs, and an Account of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway, to Which Is Prefixed a New and Correct Map of the Town

The Picture of Liverpool; With Notices of the Environs, and an Account of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway, to Which Is Prefixed a New and Correct Map of the Town

By (author) 

List price: US$12.85

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1837 edition. Excerpt: ... the dome. Formerly, in consequence of the minister's voice being indistinctly heard, a moveable pulpit was used, but this was found insufficient to obviate the inconvenience. At length in 1818, some alterations were made in the cupola, and since that time this advantage has been almost entirely removed. This edifice, which is situate in Great Richmond-street, was erected at the expense of two private individuals, and was opened for divine service on the 25th of October, 1772. It is a neat plain building, formed of brick and stone, in the Gothic style of architecture. There are two rows of windows with ogee arches, and the principal entrance is at the south end, facing St. Anne-street. The steeple consists of a plain square tower, adorned with pinnacles. Contrary to the custom of the established religion, this church is placed in a north and south direction. The inside is neatly pewed, and the galleries are supported by light cast iron pillars. The altar is placed at the south end, and is decorated with a painted glass window, which is well executed; and a small organ occupies the centre of the gal lery at the north end. The exterior of this structure has been recently covered with stucco. This church was raised at the expense of several private persons, and was opened for divine service on the 4th of June, 1775. It is situate in Parliament-street, and is built of brick, in a plain style of architecture, and has a square steeple, furnished with a clock. ST. JOHN'S CHURCH. This structure is situate near the Old Haymarket. It is built of stone, and was erected in_ the year 1784. On the north and south fronts there are two ranges of windows, between which are pilasters surmounted by pedestals, and terminated by pinnacles. The...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 52 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 3mm | 109g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236790804
  • 9781236790804