The Penny Cyclopaedia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge; Copyright - Dionysius Volume 8

The Penny Cyclopaedia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge; Copyright - Dionysius Volume 8

List price: US$20.76

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1837 edition. Excerpt: ...from the island of Salamis. Proceeding southwards was another Arsinoe, with a port; next came Leucolia, near Cape Pedalium, a lofty table-land, called the Table of Venus. West of Pedalium was Citium, with a harbour that could be closed. Citium was a large town, and the birthplace of Zeno the Stoic. From Citium to Berytus in Syria the distance was 1500 stadia. West of Citium was Amathus. Inland was Palasa, and another mountain called Olympus. Sailing round Cape Curias to the west, was the town of Curium, with a port, built by the Argivi. Here the coast turns to the north-west, looking towards Rhodes, and had the towns of Treta, Boosoura, and Old Paphos; then Cape Zephyrium; and next to it another Arsinoe, with a port and temple and sacred grove, and New Paphos, built by Agapenor, 60 stadia by land from Old Paphos. baffo. Most of the above towns, and others which Strabo has left out, have long since disappeared. The present towns of Cyprus are, 1. Leikosia, vulgarly called Nikosia, the capital of the island, and the residence of the Turkish governor, which is near the site of the antient Letra, or Leu cotra. Its population is said to be above 12,000; it lies in the centre of the island, in a plain surrounded by mountains. Leikosiawas the residence of the kings of Cyprus of the Lusignan dynasty, and was then much larger than at present: the Venetians destroyed part of it in order to strengthen the remainder. It is now three miles in circumference. The church of St. Sophia, a fine Gothic building, is converted into a mosque: the monuments of the Lusignans in it are sadly mutilated. There are also a fine bazaar, a khan or enclosed court, surrounded by apartments for travellers, and the palace of the governor, on the portal of which is still...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 708 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 36mm | 1,243g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236814983
  • 9781236814982