The Past & Present of La Salle County, Illinois; Containing a History of the County--Its Cities, Towns, &C., a Biographical Directory of Its Citizens,

The Past & Present of La Salle County, Illinois; Containing a History of the County--Its Cities, Towns, &C., a Biographical Directory of Its Citizens,

By (author) 

List price: US$47.05

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1877 edition. Excerpt: ...are now manufacturing about two tons of paper daily. The old mill building, erected in 1834, was in 1868 or '69, converted into a horse collar manufactory. It is making from two thousand to two thousand five hundred dozen collars annually. This abundant water power caused the location of these factories, aud the growth of this small town. The site of the village was laid out by Daniel T. Hitt, County Surveyor, for Mr. Green, July 13th, 1837. As it is only four miles from the county seat, and upon a rather rough site, the growth of the town has been slow. The population is about three hundred. It contains one good store, a hotel, a few shops and the large 'industries already noted. One of the finest sulphur springs in the West is situated a few miles above Dayton, and with a little improvement would make an excelleut summer resort. The first store in Dayton was erected on the site of the present hotel barn. The present hotel is the only one ever built here. It was erected by Wm. Dunnavan soon after the town was established. The first school house was built on the hill not far from the present hotel, and was used for educational aad religious purposes until 1846, when a frame house was built. School was also held in a rented building, and in the front room of Mrs. Goodrich's residence. After that became too small, the present school house was erected in 1859 or '60. It contains one room, the school being conducted under the common school law. No church has ever been built in town, the school house answering that purpose, or the people attending elsewhere, generally at Ottawa. The railroad was completed in January, 1871 through Dayton, and by means of it coal is brought to town with great ease and cheapness, thus facilitating the natural advantages...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 400 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 21mm | 712g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236615840
  • 9781236615848