Paris and Environs; With Routes from London to Paris; Handbook for Travellers

Paris and Environs; With Routes from London to Paris; Handbook for Travellers

By (author) 

List price: US$30.43

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1891 edition. Excerpt: ...--We take the walk to the right, and then ascend the avenue parallel with the last. Nearly opposite the walk: Vve. Schoelcher (d. 1839); recumbent figure in bronze. We now regain the avenue. Transverse Avenue (continuation). At the corner beyond the Marquis d'Argenteuil: Persil (d. 1841), deputy. At the other corner: the handsome De Tenet chapel. In the first walk to the right: Karde- (d. 1869), 'fondateur de la philosophie spiritiste'; a curious monument in the form of a dolmen. Marquis de Casariera, a large chapel containing a statue. To the left: Mme Bouvier (d. 1888), better known as Claude Vignon, bronze bust by herself. In the transverse avenue, left: Daoust, Micard, and Bepond, three handsome monuments.--At the end of the avenue: F. de Beaujour (d. 1836), formerly consul, a conspicuous pyramid 105 ft. in height, visible from the Arc de l'Etoile, and commonly called the 'pain de suore', erected by himself at a cost of 100,000 fr.--Nearer the path: Dias Santos; a lofty pyramid with sculptures by Fessard.--"View of Paris from the hack of the Beaujour monument.--To the right, General de Wimpffen (d. 1884), bronze bust by Richard; farther down, A. Florens (d. 1885), fine bas-relief by Boussard. The upper part of the cemetery, formerly used for temporary graves and-fosses communes', contains few monuments as yet. Near the W. end of the Avenue Transversale 2, however, stands the magnificent 'Chapelle Yakovleff, a marble structure in the Byzantine style, with paintings on a gold ground, by Fedoroff. The adjoining door leads to a public Garden, laid out in 1890 between the cemetery and the new part of the Avenue de la Re'publique, which ends a little farther on in the Place des Pyrenees (p. 184). Within the cemetery, beyond the...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 222 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 12mm | 404g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236619927
  • 9781236619921