Palestine and Syria, Handbook for Travellers

Palestine and Syria, Handbook for Travellers

By (author) 

List price: US$37.58

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1876 edition. Excerpt: ...unable to reduce the fortress in 1187, however, the whole place fell into his hands, and it was only for a short period that Richard Coeur de Lion established a footing there. In 1244 the Christians and Muslims were defeated by the Kharezmians near Gaza. Since that period Gaza has been a place of no importance. In 1799 it was taken by Napoleon. In 1871 the modern Gaza was inhabited by 2690 Muslim and 65 Christian (Greek orthodox) families, representing a population of about 16,000 souls. It also possesses a Protestant school. The town is of semi-Egyptian character; the veil of the Muslim women, for example, closely resembles the Egyptian. Whether the present town occupies the site of the ancient inland town or not is uncertain. From time immemorial Gaza has formed a connecting link between Egypt and Syria, and to this day, although the caravan traffic is almost extinct, its market is not unimportant, being in particular abundantly stocked with dates, rigs, olives, lentils, and other provisions. The bazaar, too, has an Egyptian appearance. As the town lies in the midst of orchards, it is difficult to say exactly where it begins. Owing to the abundance of water contained by the soil the vegetation is very rich. At the present day the town has neither walls nor gates. It consists of four quarters: N., Haret et-Tufen; E., Haret es-Sejiyeh; S., Haret ez-Zetun; W, Haret edDarej. The last of these is reached by steps, as the name implies. One of the chief buildings is the Serai, on the E. side of the town, the residence of the Turkish governor, but greatly dilapidated. It dates from the beginning of the 13th cent., and the stones are skilfully jointed. On entering the court we observe cages for prisoners. The opposite facade consists of inlaid...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 298 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 16mm | 535g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236567846
  • 9781236567840