Our County and Its People; A History of the Valley and County of Chemung, from the Closing Years of the Eighteenth Century

Our County and Its People; A History of the Valley and County of Chemung, from the Closing Years of the Eighteenth Century

By (author) 

List price: US$46.21

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1892 edition. Excerpt: ... built a steam saw-mill about 1845 ncar the old canal feeder from which was furnished material for the school-house. This building enlarged and repaired served well the use for which it was intended. The first frame school-house was removed and used for a barn now owned by Dr. Davis, which stands upon the east side of Main street. In 1865 the school was organized as a union free school, the people thus being in advance of the general law for free schools. In 1877 an academic department was created. The principals of the school since the adoption of the free school system in 1865 have been: Sylvester D. Boorom, Alonzo Eveland, W. G. Van Zant, John W. Osborne, Robert P. Bush, R. D. Eastman, F. M. Beardsley, G. E. Atwood, W. H. Benedict, W. R. Prentice, A. H. Lewis, A. D. Whitney, P. T. Marshall. The teachers employed in the school during the school year ending in 1891 were as follows: P. T. Marshall, principal, Jennie Howie, Alice D. Hall, Lola Thomas, Bernice Rockwell, Harriet Armitage, Anna Drake. By report of 1890 there were 43,242 days of attendance, of which 3,387 were from other districts. The school year commencing 1891 marks a new era in the school interests of the village. During the summer of this year there was erected upon a lot west of the avenue a brick building with all the necessary and convenient equipments required by the growth of the school. The total expense reaches an aggregate of about $23,000. The Board of Education consists of the following members: XV. H. Davis, Frank S. Bentley, H. J. Weller, Charles F. Taber, E. C. Day, and T. J. Wintermute. There are three courses of study in the academic department of the school, English, scientific, and classical. A dispensation naming James A. Christie, W. M., O. D. Chatfield, S.W., ..show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 392 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 21mm | 699g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236527755
  • 9781236527752