One Cool Friend
List price: US$8.99
We can notify you when this item is back in stockAdd to wishlist
From New York Times bestselling author Toni Buzzeo and Caldecott Medal winning illustrator David Small, comes a cool tale about an unlikely friendship.
On a spontaneous visit to the aquarium, straight-laced and proper Elliot discovers his dream pet: a penguin. When he asks his father if he may have one (please and thank you), his father says yes. Elliot should have realized that Dad was probably thinking of a toy penguin, not a real oneÂClever illustrations and a wild surprise ending make this sly, silly tale a kid-pleaser from start to finish.
* "The surprise ending has the same satisfying sensibility as Jules Feiffer'sÂ Bark, George. A real kid charmer that will elicit 'Read it again!' responses."--Â School Library Journal, starred review
* "Charming illustrations [draw] the eye to funny little details . . . Highly recommended."--Library Media Connection, starred reviewÂ
- Paperback | 32 pages
- 215.9 x 279.4mm | 368g
- 03 Oct 2017
- Puffin Books
- Illustrations, unspecified
About Toni Buzzeo
David Small (davidsmallbooks.com) is the renowned illustrator of more than fifty books, including One Cool Friend and So You Want to be President? He has won a Caldecott medal, two Caldecott honors, the Christopher Medal, and was also a National Book Award Finalist. He lives with his wife, author Sarah Stewart, in Mendon, Michigan.
* "A boy-and-his-pet story [that's] about as sweet as it gets."--Publishers Weekly, starred review
* "Charming illustrations [draw] the eye to funny little details . . . Highly recommended."--Library Media Connection, starred review
"This charming picture book has many humorous details throughout, and kids will likely laugh out loud at the surprise (particularly for father!) ending."--Booklist
"Suitable for both story time and closer observation, the illustrations (including the comical Magellan) complement the child-friendly premise and will certainly attract young readers to this quirky tale."--Horn Book
"The comic characterizations of Elliott and his father, and Small's lively ink, watercolor, and colored pencil illustrations . . . will make this a popular choice for both reading aloud and reading alone."--BCCB
"A happy tale of domestic amity, with a well-set-up punchline."--Kirkus Reviews
2013 Caldecott Honor Book
2013 Notable Children's Book
New York Times Bestseller
Junior Library Guild Selection