On the Rivieras, and in Piedmont and Lombardy Volume 1

On the Rivieras, and in Piedmont and Lombardy Volume 1

List price: US$21.24

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1876 edition. Excerpt: ...ses lois, sa conquete de l'etat romain, ses victoires en France sur les Sarrasins quand il accourut au secours de Charles-Martel, la prise de Raveune, de Spolete, et de Benevent, tous ces signes de gloire disparurent, et il ne resta sur cette tombe dechue que les mots: ici sont ies os du roi Ljitpmnd, simple inscription qui, elle-meme, devait etre un jour ignoblement enfouie sous des bottes de foin, et que je ne pus retrouver."--Valery. Near these is the Castello, the old palace of the Visconti, built 1460--69, and once most richly decorated and filled with the treasures collected by Gian-Galeazzo. These were all carried off to France by Louis XII., and little now remains but the ancient walls with their picturesque towers at the angles and bold Guelfic machicolations. The interior is now a barrack. Following the Corso Vittorio Emanuele, opposite the castle, we reach a monument erected to " Pavesi caduti per la patria, 1859--69." Opposite this, are the buildings of the University, whose foundation is attributed to Charlemagne the Great in 774. It was greatly enriched in the 14th century by Gian-Galeazzo, who appointed Baldus professor of law. Little remains of the ancient buildings; the present edifice is chiefly due to Maria Theresa in 1779, but in some of the courts are curious monuments of early professors, removed from desecrated churches. On the north of the university buildmgs, the Via Tre Collegi leads to the Church of S. Francesco, another beautiful brick church, well deserving of study, though modernized inside. Beyond it is the Collegio Ghislieri, with a bronze statue of Pius V. in the court in front of it. From the west doar of S. Francesco a street leads south, passing two very tall brick towers...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 122 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 7mm | 231g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236672739
  • 9781236672735