Neustadt Ontario and Area in Colour Photos

Neustadt Ontario and Area in Colour Photos : Saving Our History One Photo at a Time

By (author) 

Free delivery worldwide

Available. Dispatched from the UK in 3 business days
When will my order arrive?

Description

Neustadt is located south of Hanover on Grey Road 10 and north of Guelph and Kitchener. Neustadt is a picturesque rural Ontario village with German roots. The village's name is of German origin and it translates to "new town." It was founded in 1856 by David Winkler, a settler from Germany. He purchased 400 acres from the government, laid out the town-site, dammed Meux Creek and built a sawmill. A flour mill and grist mill were also erected near the dam the following year. Winkler was the founder of many other institutions, including opening the first post office in town in the year 1857. John Weinert, a saddle maker from Prussia, moved into Neustadt in 1859 and established a tannery on the north side of William Street. By 1861, he had added a boot and shoe factory and supplied footwear to the settlers. Henry Huether, an immigrant from Baden, Germany, constructed a wooden frame Brewery; a fire in 1859 destroyed it. The brewery was reconstructed in fieldstone and reopened in 1869. The brewery continued to be successful until 1916 when it became a creamery. In 1997 it was reopened as Neustadt Springs Brewery which currently brews ten brands of beer. Desboro is a community in Chatsworth Township, Grey County and is located south of Owen Sound and near the community of Chatsworth. Desboro is about 13 kilometres west of Chatsworth and Williamsford. The first building in 1856 in the village of Desboro was a log school house. The Desboro hotel was built in 1869 and was one of the only rural taverns still operating in the township before it closed in 2011. The town hall was built in 1875 and enlarged to a two storey building in 1950. Williamsford is a village on the North Saugeen River in Grey County, Chatsworth Township. It is located on Highway 6 between Durham and Owen Sound. Williamsford was first surveyed in 1858 comprising 400 acres in preparation for a railway which was to run from Toronto to Owen Sound. The post office was built in 1847 and the general store was built in the late 1800s. It has a general store, post office, bookstore and restaurant housed in a historic grain mill. A small dam controls the North Saugeen River. It has several churches, and a community cemetery. Arkwright was an important community in the early days of Bruce County's history. First settled in the 1850s, it gained prominence as both a supply centre and busy stopping place along the stage route. At its height Arkwright boasted two hotels, two stores, a wagon shop, two blacksmiths and a physician. A sawmill was located close by. There was also a school and two Methodist churches. A post office that operated from 1857 to 1915 was located in one of the general stores. Arkwright also served as the seat of township government for many years. Every Tuesday rain or shine, the farmer's market at Keady is open with up to 250 vendors selling a wide variety of produce ranging from Niagara peaches to deli meats, home baking, crafts and a broad assortment of other goods. There are livestock auctions beginning at 10 am. Keady is located at the intersection of Grey Roads 3 & 16. Tara, a community in southwestern Ontario within the municipality of Arran-Elderslie, is located on the Sauble River. Richard Berford and John Hamilton were the first European settlers to survey lots for the village of Tara. The opening of the road from Southampton to Owen Sound in 1852 helped the early growth of the community, as the village is located approximately half-way in between the two larger towns. Hamilton opened a hotel serving the incoming settlers of the surrounding townships.show more

Product details

  • Paperback
  • 152.4 x 228.6 x 3.81mm | 145.15g
  • Createspace Independent Publishing Platform
  • United States
  • English
  • colour illustrations
  • 1514216094
  • 9781514216095