Preface by Bryan Cheyette and Laura Marcus.
Foreword by Homi Bhabha. 1. Some Methodological Anxieties: Bryan Cheyette and Laura Marcus.
Part 1. Gender, Psychoanalysis, and History.
2. Historicizing Weininger: The Nineteenth-Century German Image of the Feminized Jew: Ritchie Robertson.
3. My Own Private Germany: Daniel Paul Schreber's Secret History of Modernity: Eric Santner.
4. Goyim Naches, or, Modernity and the Manliness of the Mentsh: Daniel Boyarin.
Part II. Literature, Modernism, Antisemitism. .
5. The Woman and the Jew: Sex and Modernity: Jean Radford.
6. Powers of Suggestion: Svengali and the Fin-de-Siecle: Daniel Pick.
7. 'The Plan Behind the Plan': Russians, Jews, and Mythologies of Change: The Case of Mary Butts: Ian Patterson.
Part III. Modernity, Postmodernity and "the Jew".
8. Allosemitism: Premodern, Modern, Postmodern: Zygmunt Bauman.
9. Habermas: Modernity as Reflection: William Outhwaite.
10. Was Modernity Good for the Jews?: David Feldman.
11. Lyotard and 'the Jews': Geoffrey Bennington.
12. Re-Figuring 'the Jew' in France: Max Silverman.
Section IV. Memory/Memorialization and the Holocaust. .
13. The Arts of Jewish Memory in a Postmodern Age: James Young.
14. Remembering to Forget: Racism and Anti-Racism in Post-War Britain: Tony Kushner.
15. Beginnings of the Day: Fascism and Representation: Gillian Rose.
16. The Victim's Resentments: Nancy Wood.
17. The Ethical Uncertainty of Primo Levi: Byran Cheyette.
18: Afterword. Not Being Inhuman: Paul Gilroy.show more