Miscellaneous Prose Works of Sir Walter Scott Volume 7
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1834 edition. Excerpt: ...mistaken James Lord of Dalkeith, for the Earl of Douglas. But this seems very unlikely; and we may rather suppose, that the strength of the Castle of Dalkeith, as well as its convenient neighbourhood to Edinburgh, caused it sometimes to be occupied by the Earls of Douglas, although the property remained with their kinsmen, the Douglasses of Dalkeith and Morton. In the busy reign of Queen Mary, the Castle of Dalkeith was the stronghold of the celebrated Earl of Morton, afterwards regent. It was surrendered to the English, as is mentioned by Sadler, shortly after the fatal battle of Pinkie. It was the headquarters of Morton during that calamitous period, called from him the Douglas wars, when he on the one hand, and Kirkaldy of Grange, 1 Berner's Froissart, vol. ii., p. 096. Ibidem, p. 404. then governor of Edinburgh Castle, on the other, were engaged in constant skirmishes, in which no quarter was given, or when, if prisoners chanced to be made, they were executed in cold blood. After Morton had resigned the regency, he retired to his Castle of Dalkeith, which, from the general idea entertained of his character, acquired at that time the expressive name of the Lion's Den. When Morton was executed, the barony of Dalkeith was included in his attainder, and although the whole was finally restored to the Earl of Morton, yet the castle seems long to have been considered as public property, and used as such. Thus, in Monipenny's Chronicle, the author classes among the palaces appertaining to the king, "the palace of Dalkeith, reserved for the use of the prince, with the orchard, garden, banks and woods adjoining thereunto, within four miles of Edinburgh." In the eventful year 1639, the Duke of Hamilton, then royal commissioner, occupied...
- Paperback | 120 pages
- 188.98 x 246.13 x 6.35mm | 231.33g
- 29 Jun 2012
- Miami Fl, United States
- Illustrations, black and white