Minutes of Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers Volume 108, PT. 2

Minutes of Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers Volume 108, PT. 2

List price: US$22.40

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1892 edition. Excerpt: ... done in the future with regard to the lighting of small country towns, it is believed that a short description of the system employed, and of the results of working may prove of interest. About the end of 1887, owing to some friction with the local gas-company, the town council decided to call for tenders, with the result that in November 1888, the gas was cut off from the street-lamps, since which time electricity has done duty in its place. The electrical plant is duplicate throughout, both to reduce the risk of a breakdown, and also to provide for possible future extensions. The engines are compound, of 12-HP. (nominal) of the semi-fixed type, having the cylinders and motion placed underneath the boiler. They were supplied by Messrs. John Fowler and Co., of Leeds. The cranks are balanced, and have a central bearing placed between them. Both high-and low-pressure cylinders are fitted with expansion-valves, controlled by a Hartnell horizontal governor placed just over the guide-bars. The fire-boxes are enlarged to burn 3-foot logs. The usual working steam-pressure is 130 lbs. per square inch, and the revolutions 120 per minute. The engines are placed side by side in the station, and the steam-pipes are so arranged that either engine can be worked off either boiler. Each engine is fitted with a pump and injector. There is also an independent feed-pump, common to the two boilers. Water is obtained from the Eiver Peel, distant about 450 feet. It is raised to a tank at the rear of the engine-house by a pump driven off the line of counter-shafting. Formerly a steam-pump, erected on the river bank was used, but the loss through condensation in the steam-pipe to it was found to be excessive. The two engines drive one countershaft, having a...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 216 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 12mm | 395g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236838262
  • 9781236838261