Minnesota Geographic Names

Minnesota Geographic Names

By (author) 

List price: US$44.45

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1920 edition. Excerpt: ...1861-2, and a state senator in Wisconsin, 1864-5; came to Minnesota in 1870, settling in St. Paul, where he died March 31, 1902. Currie, the village of Murray township, was founded in 1872, when Neil Currie and his father, Archibald Currie, built a flour mill here, using water power of the Des Moines river about a mile below the mouth of Lake Shetek. Archibald Currie was born in Argyllshire, Scotland, November 13, 1816; came with his parents to America when five years old, and to Minnesota in 1862; was a merchant in Winona county until 1874; then removed to Currie, where he engaged in merchandising and milling; was treasurer of this county, 1879-83; died July 15, 1904. This village, which was the first county seat, from 1872 to 1889, being succeeded by Slayton, was named in honor of him and of Neil Currie, who was born in Canada, December 15, 1842. He built the first store here in 1872, and aided in organizing the Murray County Bank in 1874; was postmaster of Currie, 1872-90, and clerk of the court, 1874-87; resided here as a merchant until 1905, when he removed to St. Paul. Des Moines River township, organized May 31, 1878, is crossed by the river of this name, which has its sources in the west edge of this county. Dovray township, organized March 18 and April 22, 1879, was named for Dovre, a village in Norway, and for the Dovrefjeld, a high mountainous plateau of that.country, this name being given by Nels' S. Taarud, the county treasurer. Ten years earlier, in 1869, a township of Kandiyohi county received the name Dovre, having the same derivation, for which reason the spelling was changed here, while retaining nearly the original pronunciation. Dovray railway village was platted in 1904. Ellsborough township, organized March 21, 1874, has an...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 372 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 20mm | 662g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236491300
  • 9781236491305