Mineral Resources Volume 1-8

Mineral Resources Volume 1-8

List price: US$8.03

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks


This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1898 edition. Excerpt: ...been treated locally, converting it into regulus, in which form it was despatched to the English and Australian Smelting Works, near Newcastle. Under date 26th July, 1898, the Secretary of the company stated that the mine had been idle since October, 1896. During the previous nine months 800 tons of ore were raised and smelted in a reverberatory furnace at the mine. Some 200 tons in addition, which had accumulated during the previous two years' prospecting operations, were treated in a water-jacket furnace, but owing to lack of experience in this form of furnace, the result was not altogether a success. There is a complete plant at the mine, and about 9,000,000 gallons of water conserved in a large dam. Since the beginning of the present year the mine was let on tribute; but quite recently all interests passed by purchase to the Mining and Financial Trust Syndicate, Ltd., 6, Draper's Gardens, London, and active mining and smelting operations will shortly be in progress. Garnish Settlement. (See Carangara.) (Jaw Flat Copper Mine, B., Rockley Dn., about five miles from George's Plains Railway Station.--According to Captain W. R. Reynolds, the first ore raised from Cow Flat was shipped to England. The earliest oflicial record is contained in the Annual Report of the Department of Mines for 1875, p. 59. At that time eighty men were employed, and a statement is made that the yield had not decreased during the past twelve months, considering the number of men employed. Six furnaces had been erected, but only two were in use, owing to the sheds being leased to the Esk Smelting Company, who reduced the ore to regulus, and forwarded the latter to their re ning works at Lithgow. In 1872 the mine was floated into a public company by Mr. S. L....show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 184 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 10mm | 340g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236764765
  • 9781236764768